1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Media Vilifying Black Athletes?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sportsbruh, Nov 17, 2007.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Nicely done, t_bags. ;)

3. lono

lono Active Member

We (white editors over the age of 35) have a national conference call every Tuesday at 10:30 a.m. to decide who we're going to vilify in any given week. It crosses a wide range of ethnicities, religions, orientations, etc.

The nominees this week:

Barry Bonds
    Hillary Clinton
    Rosie O'Donnell
    Charlie Weiss
    JDV

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Stephon Starbury - a good guy but misunderstood by the media.

5. Boom_70

In baseball I think you can make the case. It seemed like the media singled out the black players who went bad this year- Barry Bonds, Elijah Dukes, Lastings Millege, Milton Bradley, Gary Sheffield.

6. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

But the the question is, were any of them undeserving of that negative attention? (In Bradley's case, I'd say the white ump who baited him was the one who came off looking like the real bad guy.) Were there white players who should have gotten equally bad pub and didn't? I can't think of any.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

'bruh, if you're going to hang one of these rhetorical pinatas out here for everyone to flail at, you might try to engage the discussion by actually participating in it.

Also, your question is so loaded and skewed as to be useless. Was there some specific occurrence that drove you to pose it?

It's an important topic, and deserves better than this.

8. Boom_70

Look how unfairly the entire Bengal team has been villified because of Carson Palmer and his off field antics.

9. Dreaming of unicorns again, are we?

10. Boom_70

How come the media never writes all the crap that Steve Nash pulls? Poor Stephon Marbury forgets to wash his hands after taking a leak and it makes back page of Post.

11. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

This will not end white ... I MEAN WELL, WELL. I meant to say well.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i don't know, are you?

Draft saved Draft deleted