1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

is the long commute to work worth it?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by chubster, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I don't know Dan, I think there are liars, cheaters, assholes and general shits everywhere. In small towns and big cities.

2. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Angola, right on that.

In the big city, though, you have to watch everything you do, everywhere you look.

Give me a nice, small town from now on after all the bullshit I've seen in this place.

Crikee, the newspaper sucked also. So this city sucked in a lot of pertinent ways.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Round numbers Dan... what constitutes a "big city" to you?

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Life in the big city:

20-minute walk to work or five- to 10-minute bus ride, depending on how many stops. If I choose to drive, it's 14 bucks to park for the day and a five- to 25-minute commute, depending on the traffic.

5. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

When I got my first real job in a small town, I live 4.5 miles from work. People asked me why I lived so far away.

What I would give to have that five minute ride instead of the 25-minute one that I have now.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

For me, I traded in a 5-mile drive to work for a 30-mile drive, but it's way more than worth it to live on a lake. Now I never have to go into the office but it's about a 25-minute drive to the stadium of the team I cover and about a half-hour drive to the airport for the road trips. Best thing about it, too, is it's pretty much all freeway.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I've had a couple of stops where I was 10-15 minutes from the office. I've also had a couple with 50-mile commutes, though in one of those cases there was NO reason to want to be anywhere near the subscription area.

I prefer the shorter drives without much doubt. The one advantage to the longer drives, though, was the chance to better wind down and anonymity around where I resided.

8. Magnum

Magnum Member

I've never lived more than 5 minutes from my job, until now.

That's why after nearly a year I'm still trying to get used to the 15-20 minute commute on a freeway. I know it's not much. It just feels like I can't get to work quickly enough in the morning and can't get home quick enough at night.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd rather live in a cruddier abode with a short commute than tract home an hour away. Thats 10 hours a week you'll never get back, and 10 fewer hours to enjoy your nicer abode. The SF Bay Area talks about its great quality of life, but you're too busy working your ass off to make your nut or stuck in traffic to enjoy that quality of life.

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Yes, most of the time, this is correct.

Currently, it takes me 80-90 minutes to get to work and about 75-80 to get home. During the summer, I could get to work in an hour and home in about an hour-10/15.

It's SoCal. Frankly, I have a better commute than a lot of people. If it was much longer than that, I'm not sure I could put up with it, since for nearly 2 1/2 years, I drove 77 miles one-way to work every day -- much of that over the dreaded, two-lane Highway of death 138. Little if any traffic, but it would take me an hour-20.

After about 6-8 months, that got old. Real old.

11. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

5 minute walk.

12. chubster

chubster Member

i can't imagine 70-80 miles one way .. .then again, i'd perfer more miles and less commute than the reverse

Draft saved Draft deleted