1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the AP getting slower these days?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Big Circus, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Was looking for items for our Odds and Ends part of Astro page and came across an advance for a few weeks:

Fantasy football rankings.

AP really doing this? (Obviously they are). But is this the first time?

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

It was just an observation. And again, I still run them. But I guess I just bitch way too much, huh?

3. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I saw fantasy football transactions this evening.

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Re: Is the AP getting really lazy these days?

I believe that's a negative on both counts, Capt. Caffeine. There's AM papers from Kauai to Kona.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Evil Hots are getting busy?

6. jmacfl

jmacfl New Member

how about no Senior Birtish Open pictures today or Saturday? That is just plain awesome.

7. WS

WS Member

I liked the AP bowl thread a couple of years ago, where people would post the time the game ended, post the time the first gamer was moved, then congratulate or berate said AP staffer.

The AP guy I mentioned it to a few months later? Yeah, he didn't think it was quite so funny.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Well if you mentioned to the guy covering the Alamo Bowl, that's because he was still trying to wrap up his optional.

9. Joe Bloggs

Joe Bloggs Member

This month coming up should be really great for speed, accuracy and quality. ... With some of AP's best writers (and plenty of mediocre and subpar ones, too) going to the Olympics, I'm dreading the crap that is going to be spewing from NFL training camps, college football practices, and not to mention the baseball stories as well.

AP's sports desk in NY shouldn't be affected too much from what i've heard. ... apparently only 3 or 4 guys are going over from NY.

But the baseball desk has gotten noticeably worse the last few years. My AP sources tell me that's because there used to be a tight rotation of the main 3 baseball guys and 1 or 2 others editing the stories. Now it's like the main three guys rarely work the desk, and it's 4 or 5 other guys, less experienced and far less 'polished' editing the stories.

10. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

It's not helping the golf, either. One of the advance items for the PGA Championship that they sent out Thursday had a dateline for Brookfield Township, Okla.

Draft saved Draft deleted