1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Steph Curry the 'best outside shooter of all time?'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Apr 14, 2016.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I tried to message you about that the other day and (surprise, surprise) I'm blocked from sending PMs to you. So if you would like to handle your business the right way, feel free. Otherwise don't bother.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't know how to block people. I wouldn't have blocked you anyway. I figured you were gone for good after the Pied Piper set up his bee's nest of hot sports and news chat.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

You know, Maravich did not even shoot a better percentage from TWO POINT range as Curry does from THREE point range. And that's against those ultra-porous 1970s defenses. He is no competitor to Curry for this title.

And, btw, have I ever mentioned that Pistol Pete is the most overrated player in the sport's history? The hoops version of Joe Namath. Except Joe at least once won something.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  4. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

I think of Maravich more as a ball handler than shooter. In the pre 3 point
    era of The NBA I think that Jerry West was the best outside shooter.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Ok, Dick. One shot from three, and if it hits you get a hundred grand. Who do you pick?

6. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

Don’t know about Basketball to really give a good opinion, but I was always a fan of Drazen Petrovic. In 1991-1992 he averaged 20.6 points per game shooting 50.8 percent from the floor, 80.8 percent from the line and an amazing 44.4% from three point territory.

The next season he averaged 22.3 points per game 51.8% shooting from the field, 87% from the line and 44.9% from the three-point line.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

LOL. He's been called on this before for email blocks, and gee I wonder who's lying.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Well, we all know that your PMs about my wife get to my inbox. Classy.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I'm taking this guy.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That is a good call on Petrovic. He was not only deadly, but he was one of the most confident shooters you will ever see. I'd throw Reggie Miller's name into the mix. Maybe not as accurate as Curry is proving to be, but for his ability to hit shots in big games. Ray Allen would be on any list. Dale Ellis, maybe, but he couldn't create a shot the way that Curry can. Mullin, of course.

I think Curry may be the best ever. I'd like to see him put together a more full career first.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

He could do a lot of other things of course, but Larry Bird was no slouch from behind the line.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Fun fact: Curry has taken AND made more 3-pointers in each of the last four seasons than Petrovic took AND made in his entire career.

Draft saved Draft deleted