1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Stairway to Heaven really the best song ever? (Not exactly a music thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by farmerjerome, Mar 31, 2007.

1. ralph wiggum

ralph wiggum Member

I'll throw a vote out for Ramble On for a favorite zep song.

2. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Stairway is one of the great triumvirate of two-part songs, along with Layla and Won't Get Fooled Again. Any one of those is a candidate, but I'd have to go with Gimme Shelter, too. Or Satisfaction, for that matter.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

okay, it's long overdue for "thunder road" to get its props.

but i concur that there is no such thing as the greatest song ever. there are hundreds of songs and artists deserving. but it's nice to see the likes of jackson browne earn even a mention in the discussion. props, byh.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Re: Is Stairway to Heaven really the best song ever? (Not exactly a music thread

Nice call, shockey.

Thunder Road is top five with Tumblin' Dice.

In My Life is up there, too.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Re: Is Stairway to Heaven really the best song ever? (Not exactly a music thread

Zeke's definitive Top Five Rock Songs of All Time:

1. Tumblin' Dice -- Stones
    2. Thunder Road -- Springsteen
    3. State of Love and Trust -- Pearl Jam
    4. In My Life -- The Beatles
    5. Wind Cries Mary -- Jimi Hendrix.

There they are. Lock this bad boy up, call in the dogs and piss on the fires.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

In My Life or American Pie.

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Oddly enough, JR and I were discussing this after breakfast this morning. Stairway is a song that connects because of context as Farmer J pointed out. But I can never forgive the fact that it meant that I could never get my guitar out without some guy grabbing it and playing the intro to Stairway. This would be, of course, the only thing he could play on the guitar.

"Immigrant Song" is much higher on the Led Zep Best list. "Rock and Roll" is up there too.

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I'd like to add Dave Edmonds "Crawling from the Wreckage" to the list.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

My top five could change an hour from now. But "Layla" would probably be there, I can never get tired of that song. "Tumblin' Dice" is probably the best thing the Stones have ever done.

As for Zep, I've been going through their two box sets looking for stuff for my new iPod and their catlogue is very deep.

"Rock And Roll" will always be my fave, one of the great intros ever (copped from "You Keep A Knockin'" by Little Richard) and a rhythm section that roars like a motherfucker. "Black Dog" is an awesome riff rocker and I'd toss out "Good Times Bad Times" (one of my fave Page solos), "Communication Breakdown", "Hot Dog" and "Achilles Last Stand". Stuff like "Wearing And Tearing" and "Ozone Baby" is sadly overlooked.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, and "Stairway To Heaven" wouldn't be in my top 50 Zep songs.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

OK... I have to think about this in terms of best "rock song," because I admittedly listened to a lot of stuff growing up that would not pass most people's test of time.

I liked someone's post about Southern Cross. I love that song. Reminds me of college for a specific reason. In terms of my more mainstream, college memory songs, this will get booed by a lot of you, but I'll suggest Under Pressure by Queen and David Bowie. Along with the cheesy, but sentimental favorite, American Pie, by Don McLean.

I definitely can't put Stairway to Heaven on my list. Just gets a giant yuck out of me. All of Led Zepellin does. Reminds me of idiots in high school I tried to avoid. And whoever was insisting on Def Leppard... Yuck.

A little less obvious, but songs I could listen to all day long:
    Peace, Love and Understanding, Elvis Costello
    In Between Days, The Cure (god, I can add about 10 of their songs to this list)
    Suffragette City, David Bowie (add Ziggy Stardust and Young Americans, also)

More recent, but deserving of consideration:
    Philosophy, by Ben Folds Five.

And the song a lot of you never heard of, but may be the prettiest song ever recorded (her voice melts me):
    You and I, by Delerium (with Zoe Johnston)

12. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Pink Floyd: Time.
    Zeppelin: Dazed and Confused.
    Best song ever: Free Bird.

Draft saved Draft deleted