1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is sports betting morally wrong for sports writers?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jay Sherman, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

UF was favored by 21 1/2 against UM Saturday.

Did ANYONE ask Meyer why he kicked the FG with seconds left to take the score from a 20-point spread to 23?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

No need to ask the obvious - he wanted to cover!

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Taking 10-1 on 4-teamers is self-destructive. Last time I was there,
    12-1 was available on 4-teamers, if you shopped.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

There's no question he was aware of the spread... but did anyone get him on the record as such.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Respect Z for his broad knowledge of the sport, but anyone who picks games in print and doesn't at least reference a spread number in existance at the time of filing is shooting fish in a barrel. You don't pick 60%+ plus winners under those conditions, you should be sent to the gulag. Some tasks are easier than others, and in this case, Z is guilty of gross intellectual dishonesty.

6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

If you are betting preps with inside knowledge gained from your beat with a local bookie, then it being wrong is the least of your worries. If he finds out, he might "bust a cap in yo ass." :D

I was actually covering a playoff game one time in the hood, and exiting the stadium we heard three or four shots ring out from a couple of blocks away. I said to another writer, "That was gun fire." Some random fan walking along with us said, "(home team) didn't cover the spread" as if it was nothing. I laughed the whole time I has hurrying to the truck.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

This made me laugh really, really hard.

Don't bet on the team you cover, but I don't see a problem with betting on other games in that particular sport.

8. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I really doubt SI would let him put numbers into his picks, and since he still technically covers the league, not sure it would be ethically above-board. I'm sure he would otherwise, as he references the numbers and the spread. I think he used to the NY Post.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

wimp.
    But seriously prep betting is big business in some areas.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Interesting article from Dr. Z, but one thing stuck out in my mind - the Vegas oddsmaker who said, "You ought to sit in on one of our handicappers' meetings and see what goes into it." He's right. Zimmerman should have. That would have been really interesting.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Z would have learned a thing or three -- I guarantee it.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

If I am going to bet on something, I find that an amusing line to draw.

What makes that different from, say, betting on a D-II football game? Is it the 18-year-old thing?

Draft saved Draft deleted