1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is sports betting morally wrong for sports writers?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jay Sherman, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

House has the edge, because of the vig (-110, in 98% of all cases, in Nevada). A coinflipper is bucking a grind of some 4 1/2%. The dice
    table takes less than one-third of that percentage, on the "pass" or "don't pass" lines.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

House has no edge ... you are paying for the service. Just like poker where you pay a rake or pay for time.

3. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Actually I know some who are.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Some places have a pool going.

5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Betting 4-team parlays is morally wrong.

6. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

7. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

No, I mean I know some political writers across the country who have actually put down money on the outcome in Vegas.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Really?

Where in Vegas did they put the bet down?

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I have absolutely no working knowledge of how gambling works and couldn't give a rat's ass about the point spread of games.
    Would that keep me from doing my job properly if I were covering a pro team?

10. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Not sure where in Vegas, but McCain is +150 according to Bodog. Oops, that's his age. Just kidding. Obama is -200.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Vegas doesn't book elections . . . and for the same reasons they don't book the Academy Awards . . . they don't go out of their way to write business on anything involving public voting.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

To be honest, if you have a pro beat, some knowledge of the gambling industry probably wouldn't be a bad thing. Just like knowledge of economics, Spanish, history, etc. ... that could quite possibly be of use to you at some point.

Draft saved Draft deleted