1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is RG3 done?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr. Sunshine, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

You never do.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Sure I do. I keep your pomposity in check. ;D

3. Mr. Sunshine

Ha, you wish!

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Its 2014. A different era.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

This is true. Whole different mindset about bringing a rookie in and handing him the keys to the car.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Over Luck? That was the counter culture talk so there's something to talk about, not the consensus.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/robert-griffin,%20iii?id=2533033

8. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

That list is not a long one.

9. RecoveringJournalist

I'd be curious how many teams would have taken RG3 over Luck in that draft. I'm guessing not many, but I'm sure there were a few.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

No, I think this is the classic Manning-Leaf b.s. Revisionist history says "It was a toss-up!" but no GM was actually putting his balls on the line and going with Leaf. There was some debate that Leaf might be better in the long run, but you don't take that gamble with Manning sitting there. Maybe if Phil Simms was a GM, someone would have taken Griffin over Luck, considering Simms said he didn't think Luck could make NFL throws, but that's about it.

11. RecoveringJournalist

Yeah, I think anyone taking RG3 over Luck would have been insane. Luck was a once-in-a-decade type player, but RG3 was the most hyped player entering that draft, which I'm sure the Colts loved. The Redskins got the most-hyped guy and the Colts got their franchise QB for the next decade.

Even if someone thought RG3 had better overall talent, Luck was the safest No. 1 pick since Peyton Manning and Peyton Manning was the safest No. 1 pick (among QBs) since John Elway.

12. Mr. Sunshine

What is Gruden going to do next year? He has to know McCoy isn't the long-term answer and the free-agent QB market sucks.

Draft saved Draft deleted