1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Obama already the President?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spinning27, Jul 19, 2008.

1. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Obviously, I'm exaggerating here. But just consider:

- Obama talks about diplomacy with hostile nations and is called an appeaser by Bush and crucified as naive by the right. Months later, we learn that Bush is sending high-level diplomats to talk with North Korea and Iran.

- Obama beats the drum on Afghanistan and campaigns on moving troops out of Iraq and into Afghanistan. The right protests that Iraq is the central front in the war on terror. Suddenly, the White House acknowledges the need to do the same thing and McCain scrambles to put together an Afghanistan strategy.

- Obama sets a 16-month timetable for Iraq and gets killed again by the right. This week, news comes out that Bush has agreed to a "withdrawl horizon" and today al-Maliki says that 16 months is "the right timeframe for a withdrawl." According to Marc Ambinder, a prominent Republican official who advises the McCain campaign says, "We're fucked."

My question is, Is Obama simply proving that he's right on the issues? Or is he having an impact on foreign policy already? Or, a third option, does he have a mole in the White House?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Is it November yet? Is the election over? Do we need threads every time one of these guys breath?

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Coming soon: Separate threads for the inhalations of Obama, McCain, Ron Paul, Ralph Nader and Bob Barr.

And one catchall thread for the inhalations of anybody I missed.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Lock it Moddy.

5. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

I, on the other hand, thought spinning did a good job compiling several instances in which obama was prescient on some major issues. Seems like a valid thread to me, but what do I know.

6. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

LOL

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

This one may well be. There's just so many of them and one person starts a large portion of them - we haven't even had the conventions yet. We're trying to be flexible here, it IS an election year. But I do fear we're coming to a day when the entire board is political threads.
    Aren't there political sites for political discussions? Or are they discussing pennant races and Greg Norman over there??

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

What? Huh? Greg Norman's in the pennant race? The hell did I miss?

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Eh, he'll choke down the stretch.

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Spinning 24/7 ain't easy, Moddy.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no! It's over when WE say it's over!

The Germans?

Forget about it. He's rolling.

--
    sorry, couldn't resist.

-- [tried to do it from memory in a hurry becuase I actually thought the thread might get locked before I could post it. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.]

12. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

ZING . . .

Draft saved Draft deleted