1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Mike Trout headed for a huge fall?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

And before heading out to the ballpark be sure to phone ahead to
    confirm start time.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

A lot of guys, even as they age and their reflexes aren't as sharp as they were at the beginning of their careers, reduce strikeouts considerably as they get older and smarter and stop swinging at everything. That's not to say he's going to become Wade Boggs, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if his strikeouts go down considerably in a few years.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Makes you even more impressed with Joe DiMaggio, 361 HRs. 369 Ks. 7600+ plate appearances.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If by huge fall you mean huge autumn, yes.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think he's an extreme outlier for a variety of reasons, so while the K-rate is high, to me it's not a huge concern until the speed starts to slip. And even then, I believe it was either Bill James or Baseball Prospectus way back when that implied that speed and power guys tend to age the best, since they'll lose speed as they age but instead gain a bit more power. Also, I think RecoveringJournalist is correct - Trout is probably swinging at more pitches now than he will at Age X, because even though there is a higher chance he'll miss them and strikeout, if he does make contact there is a higher chance he'll get a hit.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

He's signed through 2020. Perfect, let someone else pay for his downside years, something the Angels usually do.
    He's already stopped running, he has only 12 sb attempts this year.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I'm more concerned about Justin Verlander. The guy has not
    been the same pitcher since he hooked up with Kate Upton.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/justin-verlander-tosses-kate-upton-baseball-stands-game-article-1.1891934

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

He allowed 2 runs last night though that catch by Carrera saved a 3-run triple.

Instead of 4-0 early it was 2-0. Yanks won 2-1.

On the flip side, he goes home to Kate Upton.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

All of which are successful. He's on pace for 18 steals, which I don't think is "stopped running."

And it could be a one-year blip. Bonds' steal totals went 36, 32, 17, 32, 52 in his first five years.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Wasn't that Scherzer?

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

To-mato/Tom-ato. He's stopped running in a relative sense compared to two years ago when he had 49 sb. I think the main reason he's stopped running is that he hits in front of Pujols and Pujols doesn't like guys running in front of him.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Scherzer pitched last night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.