1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Manny Acta set as Nats manager?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by casty33, Nov 11, 2006.

1. casty33

casty33 Active Member

It looks like Acta and one unnamed candidate are the only ones in the picture to replace Frank Robinson in an announcement that could come this week. I know the Mets' people like Acta as a coach and teacher for young players so it might be a good hire, if indeed it does happen.

And -- if my memory isn't failing me -- Moddy mentioned Acta as the next Nats manager when I asked the question many weeks ago. How about that?

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Moddy knows all!

Even if he is a looser Nats fanboy.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I've waffled on whether I want this guy or Girardi, though with Girardi out of it that's not even a question anymore. Felt all along his connection to the organization would be a plus, as would his background. IF it happens, I'll be a happy guy. I like the idea of a fresh young face rather than a retread.
    I hope he has lots and lots and lots of patience.

And I hope his first call is to A. Soriano - stay, good sir. Work with me here.

4. patchs

patchs Active Member

I covered Acta in the minors. He was (and is) one of the classiest guys I have ever dealt with at any level and any sport.
    I am thrilled for him, he has worked hard to get this.
    The Nats are going to need a couple of years to be good, but Manny will get them there.
    I think I am making a DC trip next spring to see and old friend.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I thought I saw the scroll on ESPN's bottom line said he was named today. But maybe I misread and it said will be named.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

ESPNDeportes says Acta gets the job. Had to see it coming when he withdrew from the A's consideration.

7. MJHRVA

MJHRVA Member

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061111&content_id=1739175&vkey=news_was&fext=.jsp&c_id=was

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Sweet. I like this.

9. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

He doesn't really have a connection with the organization. If memory serves, there are maybe four guys left from when he was there: Schneider, Johnson, Patterson ..... ? Maybe if Joey Eischen comes back.

I like Manny a lot. If there is a concern, it's that he's a bit too in awe of the big-leaguers.
    That's a vague comment I could clarify, but generally speaking, big-leaguers also tend to dismiss guys who didn't actually play in the big leagues. But there's no doubt he's capable of managing. And if this is the job he gets, he will do fine.

He can also drive home to sleep from spring training, if he wants to.

10. Weekly writer

Weekly writer Member

You won't find a guy more opposite of Frank Robinson, that's for sure.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And starting in RF for your 2007 Washington Nationals... Sammy Sosa.

Draft saved Draft deleted