1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Lance Armstrong the biggest fraud in the history of sports?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That's why I don't think he qualifies as a fraud. You knew what you were getting with him from Day One.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

With Bonds, the reason I posted that he's a fraud is that he issued the same steroid denials that Armstrong did. And I guess it's just because I'm out here, but people really did believe the shit. Even today you'll find a surprisingly large segment of "no proofers."

He also has a very warm and smiley persona that he can turn on for his benefit. It has worked to some degree.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Does it?

A smoker gets lung cancer, beats it through whatever array of drugs it takes to beat it, starts a successful movement to find a cure for lung cancer, and basically exercises like crazy and eats the right stuff afterward to remain as healthy as possible.

All this is discounted because he was kind of responsible for his own cancer in the first place?

4. LongTimeListener

For this analogy to work would require that the smoker denied for more than a decade that he had ever smoked.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's almost frightening when he does.

I was just a couple years out of school when I approached Bonds because I was doing a story on a local who he had played with at ASU. He could not have been nicer and then after I got what I needed, I talked to him about regular things and there wasn't a SF beat writer anywhere close to us. The stuff I got was nothing too special, but it had been so long since he had talked that the Bay Area papers had to use and credit my story... It was pretty funny.

The whole time I was talking to Bonds, I was waiting for him to turn on me. I'm not going to lie, I was pretty fucking scared.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I had a similar experience with Bonds. I'm not making this up: He was in Atlanta and I approached him around the batting cage, asking his perspective on the home run record. The Braves were celebrating something related to Hank Aaron -- anniversary of 715 or the announcement of the Hank Aaron award. I'm not so clear on that now. Anyway, Bonds was responsive and patient enough with the conversation. Looking back now, the whole thing seems surreal.

7. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

And the smoker would use any means necessary to bully, intimidate and discredit anyone who ever said he smoked in the first place.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And here we go back to me asking about evidence. Honestly, I think that is when he started, too, but I don't know and neither do most of the people insisting that they do.

9. LongTimeListener

Have you read "Game of Shadows"? I'm not asking to be overly argumentative, and I agree with the overall point that steroids don't equal big massive bodies and guys could have been doing it longer. (I personally believe the version that A-Rod started in high school.) But the meticulous research in that book leaves me feeling like there's no other conclusion. IIRC Pearlman came up with no talk of Bonds and steroids before that point either.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

There is plenty of evidence to indicate Armstrong's PED use predates his cancer. Also, two riders associated with Armstrong's PED-pedaling (ha!) trainer have sued him after they used the drugs and then got testicular cancer. In addition, there's a theory floating around that the cancer Lance had was detected early on by a UCI anti-doping test, but UCI looked the other way, and its failure to notify Armstrong allowed the cancer to migrate to his lungs and brain before detection. And that's why Armstrong was able to wield so much power over Verbrueggen and McQuaid at the UCI.

Meanwhile, regarding Livestrong: Before you start lionizing that group, keep in mind it pays for Lance's private jet...a small quibble, I suppose. But also keep in mind that after Landis came clean to the media, the Livestrong board held a formal meeting to discuss ways to "destroy" him, according to various reports. Is that how a charity is supposed to work?

And to add another log to the fire: Unlike Bonds or Ruiz or Tiger Woods, Lance Armstrong went to court -- twice -- and won more than $10 million by suing people over claims he used PEDs. One, Rupert's paper in England, lost a defamation case and the other, an insurance company in Texas, lost its argument that it could withhold a bonus due Armstrong for winning the Tour. It's reported this morning that that company is going back to court this week to seek a court order overturning the earlier verdict.

It's these two cases, BTW, that could result in criminal charges against Armstrong. As I understand it, there is no statute of limitations when it comes to perjury.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

And the smoker would insist for a decade after getting lung cancer that everyone who wanted to work with him had to smoke, too.

12. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

If you want someone to look up to who fought an inspired battle against cancer and raised millions of dollars, then Terry Fox is your guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted