1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Johnny Marr a Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

RNRHOF announces nominees. Some surprises: I didn't know the Smiths and SRV have never been nominated, and I didn't know Green Day debuted 25 years ago.

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/music/2014/10/09/green_day_sting_bill_withers_smiths_are_rock_and_roll_hall_of_fame_nominees.html

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Of course he fucking is. He's Johnny Fucking Marr.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Dookie: As good as any album the last 25 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45lCeMVrCJM

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Stevie Ray Vaughan should have been in years ago, it's a fucking joke he hasn't even been nominated before.

Green Day has to be a lock, same with Lou Reed. Nine Inch Nails will go in too as should Chic. To me Sting's solo work doesn't come close to what he did with the Police but that will probably be this year's Jann Wenner Special.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I think Marr is an all-timer, and the Smiths should absolutely be in.

To me the only dead-certain lock in this class is Lou Reed. He's absolutely going in.

Green Day is going in at some point. Don't know if it will be now. I'd make a case against, but they have to lower the bar or they'll run out of candidates in a year or two. They've essentially got two good albums plus one other song.

I think SRV has been hurt solely by the fact that it's a limited body of work. He belongs in, and I think he'll get in, and probably on this ballot.

The rundown for 2015:

The Smiths: Yes, absolutely.
    Green Day: Sure, I guess, at least at some point.
    Joan Jett: See Green Day. Although I'd put her in first.
    Sting: Eh. Why? Two good solo albums, a lot of pretentious shit, and one of the worst live acts I've seen. I'll pass, but he'll get in.
    Lou Reed: Yes. No question.
    Nine Inch Nails: No. Perhaps if it was the strip club music hall of fame.
    Chic: Nile Rodgers deserves recognition, but I don't know about Chic. I lean slightly no.
    Paul Butterfield Blues Band: With all due respect... is it a hall of fame, or is it Tower Records? I mean, someone has to get left out, right?
    Marvelettes: If I have to look them up on Wikipedia, no. Sorry, "Please Mr. Postman" is not a hall of fame career.
    Kraftwerk: Yes. Hugely influential, weird, cool. I'm on board.
    NWA: Could not conceivably give less of a shit. I'll say no.
    Spinners: No. They're good, but no.
    War: "Low Rider" is all kinds of awesome. But fuck no.
    Bill Withers: No. No, no, no, no, no, no...
    SRV: Yes. Short career, but shit happens.

My two pet causes for the Hall still remain un-nominated: Dick Dale and Cheap Trick.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Good point about Green Day but they let David Fricke hang around the studio when they record so it makes them a lock. I think The Smiths will go in too and when I say I like Chic's chances I am speaking solely of Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards, a very influential duo.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Little Feat

If Stevie Ray Vaughn is not in the RNRHOF then the RNRHOF is a fraud.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Will definitely second Little Feat, just a great American rock and roll blues and boogie band, it's a real mystery why they aren't in, they were a huge concert draw and critical faves during their heyday. Two others: Warren Zevon and Roxy Music. I agree with PC's calls on Dick Dale and Cheap Trick.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Sting is already in as a member of the Police. He needs to make a stronger case as a solo artist.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The Smiths: Obviously. Morrissey shouldn't even come close as a solo artist, though.
    Green Day: I'll go ahead and say this is obvious. They are the biggest American band post-Nirvana. And they have three very good albums of very distinct styles (Dookie, Nimrod and American Idiot).
    Joan Jett: I'm not a fan, but she probably should be in.
    Sting: No, his solo work is terrible.
    Lou Reed: Should have been in years ago.
    Nine Inch Nails: No.
    Chic: No.
    Paul Butterfield Blues Band: No.
    Marvelettes: No.
    Kraftwerk: Yes, and Can should get in, too.
    NWA: I've stated my opinion that Ice Cube and Dr. Dre have better cases than the collective.
    Spinners: No.
    War: Underrated, but no.
    Bill Withers: Seven or eight great singles but not enough.
    Stevie Ray Vaughan: Wildly overrated.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Am I the only NIN guy around here? My thought is that they've got a better case than Green Day.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I love Bill Withers and think that he has been drastically underappreciated. If you haven't listed to his Live at Carnegie Hall concert, you are missing something wonderful. However, I think that he's in the hall of really, really great, not the Hall of Fame.

Draft saved Draft deleted