1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Jennie Finch Gay?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, May 12, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I never realized that showing softball pictures was code for someone being a lesbian.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Re: Is Jenny Finch Gay?

WTF are you talking about?

3. Boom_70

This:
    A spokeswoman for the Wall Street Journal said today its cover art was not intended as innuendo about Supreme Court nominee Elena Kagan's sexual orientation after the paper's front-page use of an image of Kagan playing softball provoked a mixture of irritation and amusement from gay and lesbian advocates.

"It clearly is an allusion to her being gay. It's just too easy a punch line," said Cathy Renna, a former spokesperson for the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation who is now a consultant. "The question from a journalistic perspective is whether it’s a descriptive representation of who she might be as a judge. Have you ever seen a picture of Clarence Thomas bowling?"

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Finch is a softball player.

Please show me all the photos ever published anywhere of previous female Supreme Court nominees at play.

Hell, show me photos of male nominees at play.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

When did adults playing softball become code for being gay though?

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

OK. Not sure the threadstarter was the most responsible way to go about this, but yeah, I missed the memo where softball photos were code for homosexuality. This strikes me as people looking for something to get pissed off about.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think the argument is being made that of all the available pictures of this candidate, and there seem to be many, why would you choose the one that makes her look the most like a "tomboy"?

Playing softball certainly isn't "code for being gay." Nor is a short haircut - but people interpret these things as evidence of something.

The selection of this photo raises the question of why you'd portray one candidate one way, and one candidate another.

Hence the crack about Clarence Thomas.

For what it's worth, this:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0510/37114.html

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Its as much code as when Reagan used to slip Biblical verses into speeches to please evangelical Christians.

Softball doesn't equal Teh Gay, but when everyone is privately speculating about the nominee's sexuality and a Republican blogger working in the MSM has already attempted to out her, running a pic of her playing softball is clearly trying to imply something. This was not an accident by the WSJ. Playing to a stereotype -- evev if it is true -- is still pretty lame for a paper like the Journal. I bet the Post is furious they didn't think of it first though.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Why would a Rupert Murdoch paper ever do such a thing?

Oh.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Elena Kagan is the kind of women who people see every day and wonder to themselves, "lesbian"? If she doesn't have the look, and isn't an older single woman, and in the spotlight, nobody would be questioning a photo of her looking like a tomboy. But people were already guessing about her sexuality. There was whispering about her sexuality before that photo ran. And there was at least a little speculation that in the way Supreme Court justices get chosen nowadays--as representatives of ethnic groups or races or religions or genders--that Obama may have been trying to please a political constituency by picking a gay woman. The photo would be innocuous if there wasn't already whispering and speculation about whether she is gay or straight. I don't think softball alone necessarily equates to "lesbian," for most people.

11. Colton

Colton Active Member

Not sure about the gayness, but she does spell her name J-E-N-N-I-E. Only know that because of all of the... stories... I've seen on her, certainly not the one or two photos these eyes have seen.

12. Boom_70

It's interesting that The Post has been strangely quiet about the whole story. If you look at past 3 days the Kagan story is nowhere near the front page.

Draft saved Draft deleted