1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Jeff Kent really that stupid?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Mizzou's been repeating it for years, on several websites, with no actual anecdotes or proof to back it up.

So it must be true. Because he keeps saying it.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

For those of us who don't know, please tell us the story that Mizzou has been spouting.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Mizz had him on his roto team the year he pulled his motorcycle hijinks in Arizona, and he never got over it.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

thanks for the update.

5. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Wow, that's an odd reason to hate someone. Cause of Fantasy sports

6. There is no story, he just keeps saying it. Just one sentence throwdowns that we're just supposed to take because of a semblance of believability (everyone knows Kent is a tool), the idea that Mizzou is in the industry (he's worked the 2002 Western Conference Finals!), and repetition, repetition, repetition.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

mizzou was agreeing with someone else's view. go back and read the thread again, squirt.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Kent talks with Simers today.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-simers20-2008aug20,0,105810,full.column

"You wrote it as tongue in cheek, and I said it as tongue in cheek," said Mr. Chuckles, who was greeted by a smattering of boos when he came to the plate -- then turning them into cheers with an RBI double.

"You told me Scully was saying this and that about me hitting third, and I said, 'Vin talks too much,' and he does. But I say that in a respectful way."

"I said it to you -- because I knew you'd write it tongue in cheek," Kent said. "But as I've said, a lot of people don't get your humor. They take something you write and make it more serious and bigger than it really is.

"People think you and I hate each other," he said, a shock, I must say, to learn we don't. "As you get on me to make adjustments -- you're over the top for some people, too."

9. I see that Jeff didn't get his wife a card. Does he still take her on road trips?

And, as for Vin not knowing Derek Lowe, I'm not sure that Derek has gotten around to knowing the male broadcasters there yet.

10. The Granny

The Granny Guest

As a fly-over state kind of gal, never read this Simer guy until now. Wow, he uses "I" and talks about himself a lot in his columns. (Though it appears I have stated the obvious.)

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Jeff Kent isn't so bad and while he's a little different and opinionated, he's far from stupid. He's been playing along with Simers for a couple years now. Plus he detests BLOGGERS! as much as anyone on SportsJournalists.com. Shouldn't he get some points for that alone?

He started dusting off his shoulders as if brushing away dandruff, while saying, "bloggers," spitting out the word like it was some kind of infectious disease. The way things are going in the communications business, incurable might be a better word.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I'm not a fan of Simers, but he was a hell of a beat writer and he better serves readers covering the NFL in some day-to-day capacity than this childish brand of antagonism.

Draft saved Draft deleted