1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Jeff Kent really that stupid?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Aug 18, 2008.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Don't know if this is buried on the baseball thread or not, I went back 5-6 pages and didn't see it, but if it's a d-b, my apologies.

I read in the paper today that Jeff Kent said, "Vin Scully talks too much," or something very close to that, for Scully even suggesting that the addition of Manny Ramirez has helped Kent because it's given him some protection in the lineup.

Now, I have never met Jeff Kent. I've read he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer, and isn't always the nicest guy in the clubhouse, etc., which explains why he's traded every 3-4 years.

But insulting an icon like Vin Scully - a guy who knows his baseball, by the way - in Los Angeles might be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard a baseball player do. And that's saying something.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Barry Bonds would say yes.

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Jeff Kent said that in response to a baiting from T.J. Simers where Simers relayed that Scully said Kent was benefitting from hitting behind Manny Ramirez. No matter what Kent said to defend himself, Simers was stuck on the position that Kent was deluded.

It was a weak column in that Simers used a couple week's worth of stats to say that Kent is only doing well because Manny Ramirez is now on the team. He then used Kent's reputation to mock Kent when Kent defended himself and his career.

Lame article, which now apparently is leading to this quote being taken out of context and used against Jeff Kent.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I think part of it was Kent being an idiot and also Kent playing it up because the interview was with T.J. Simers, who was saying the same things Scully has been saying on the air. Kent is a notorious grouch anyway, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's some backlash from this.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

Bonds was better liked in the Giants clubhouse. That's all anyone needs to know about Kent.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yes, Kent is that stupid.
    But he most likely was used by piece of shit Simers and was too dumb to know it.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm glad I've never met Simers, because I would hate to have any reason not to love reading the guy.

I don't know too many who like him, but he remains my favorite read.

9. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Yes, he is. If you ever meet him, you'll agree too. Just start talking about the history of the game and some of the great players of the past, then you'll see, he's not just stupid but very egocentric (not that ego's a bad thing in baseball, but his is).

10. Gold

Gold Active Member

I'm not going to miss this opportunity to bash Simers.

I was going through newspapers yesterday, and saw a column where he said he wore a Giants sweatshirt into the Dodgers clubhouse. Perhaps somebody can explain to me how that meets the highest professional standards.

I will concede that Simers probably does not a good deal about the NFL, which does a heckuva lot of good in Los Angeles, which doesn't have an NFL franchise. He doesn't know the first thing about hockey, really doesn't understand basketball, and would probably be in the lower 25 percent of reporters in a major league clubhouse when it comes to understanding baseball.

I can't see how anybody with that little knowledge is really worth reading. He is not a funny person, either. as my parents used to describe some people, he is a BS artist.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

SOunds like the beginning of an old joke,
    What do you call it when Simmers, Bonds and Kent are at the bottom of the ocean?
    A good start.

12. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Jeff Kent is a munt. One more reason not to darken the doorway of the baseball stadium ten minutes from my pad.

Draft saved Draft deleted