1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Jeff Kent a HoFer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Apr 26, 2008.

?

Is Jeff Kent a Hall of Fame player?

1. Yes - he is.

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. No - he's not.

30 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Borderline but will get in after 5 times on the ballot.

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

How many HOF voters have: A) been around long enough to have been shat on by Rice, and B) are unprofessional enough not to vote for him because of it? A very small number, I would guess. The whole idea that voters let personal bias affect their votes is overblown, I think. I'm not saying it never happens, but based on the people I know who have a vote, I think it's exceedingly rare.

2. fremont

fremont Member

Fair enough....so are you saying Kent is HoF-worthy while Rice is not?

They're about on the same level on my non-BBWAA-voting HoF radar, for the little it's worth - just missing the cut.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I can't imagine anyone, anywhere ever looking at a schedule, seeing the Mets or Giants coming to town and saying, "Sweet, Jeff Kent'll be in town. Let's get tickets. You gotta see him at least once." Now, granted, most of his time on the Giants, people did that for Bonds. But if Bonds hadn't been there, Kent wouldn't have been anything of a draw.

That's obviously not a bona fide standard for HOF admission, because if it was, McGwire, Bonds and Sosa would be first-ballot locks. But still.

4. fremont

fremont Member

There are loads of guys who are in the HoF and shouldn't be, often because they played for successful teams and/or were favored by fans and media (if I was trying to condense this into a small copy space I'd do it in two words with "Phil Rizzuto") and then some guys in the deadball era who nobody remembers. These are usually the domain of the Veterans Committee, and perhaps sometime down the road they'll hit a trend where they forget about the whole 'roids thing and start putting marginal guys like Jeff Kent in Cooperstown.

No offense to Jeff - I've been in somewhat close proximity to him (never interviewed him directly) and he's not as bad as he's made out to be....just aloof. It makes pretty good sense that he and Bonds didn't get along and that he fit in a lot better in Houston's clubhouse - of course what you did to fit in that clubhouse was don't get crossways with Biggio or Bagwell - two guys that are getting in long ahead of Kent if he ever made it at all.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

when jim rice gets into the hall, i piss on the doorstep.

6. joe

joe Active Member

Man, I read that thread title, and in my head HoFer sounds like "huffer," and I'm wondering, Is Jeff Kent huffing paint out of a paper bag?

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

No today.
    No tomorrow.
    No next week.
    No next year.
    No five years from now.
    No 100 years from now.
    No forever.

8. Perfect.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

First of all, the whole "someone's not voting for Rice b/c he wasn't nice argument" doesn't wash...if that was the case, why are the Boston papers annually filled with columnists pitching Rice's HOF candidacy?

You also can't compare Spahn and Rice, because the electorate was far stricter back then. Joe D. didn't get in on the first ballot.

A three-year stretch of 39 HRs and 200 hits is awesome, but it's not enough to get one into the HOF. Otherwise Don Mattingly would be there for a stretch of similiar dominance.

This isn't just one year where less than 75 percent of the electorate has said no to Rice. It's 14 straight years. At some point, doesn't it become less about a vendetta towards Rice or the electorate's stupidity and more about, hey, maybe he just doesn't measure up?

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

This is a very good point.

There are any number of guys who are debated about today who wouldn't be debated about at all in 1960. They just wouldn't be considered.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

even better point.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Players base everything on their personal experience. "He hit a home run off me. Hell, yes, he should be in the Hall of Fame."

If it were up to players, the Hall of Fame class would be about 30 every year. I had a fairly intelligent manager ask me why Jerry Koosman isn't in the Hall. What qualifies him? "He shoved the bats up our ass all the time." Oh.

Seriously, most players are irrational on stuff like this. I used to have to collect all-star ballots from them and some of the shit they turned in was incredible, dumber than something the dumbest fan would have done.

Draft saved Draft deleted