1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it worth it anymore?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mark2010, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I think the proper "sellout" label belongs to the publishers and parent companies who gave up any semblance of quality journalism out of greed. Those who recognize this and leave are not sellouts, just making a decision based on the decisions made by the brass. Things have changed, and we have a right to change our minds.

I had a colleague call me out for becoming a fan of Obama on Facebook. He said that it was our job to present an unbiased, objective front in all aspects of our lives, lest our friends and acquaintances get the impression the media has bias. My response to him was that when media companies get back to playing by the rules of journalism, then I would, too.

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

It's still worth it for me, and for that I'm grateful. I'm not ready to give up on it yet.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

Same here. Most days I greatly enjoy my job and the problems in our industry have no effect. But even on those sunny days I can see the ominous clouds on the horizon.

I'm sure I could be happy doing other things, but for now I know I'm happier doing this than I would be anything else.

4. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

What Barsuk said. I still like my job. I make reasonable money doing something I love. Yes, there's zero job security and the working conditions degrade by the week. But one thing all the layoffs and closings have made me realize is that I'm fortunate to still be able to do journalism every day, and I think it's important, and I've pretty much resolved to go down swinging.

That said, calling anyone who chooses to move on at this point a "sellout" is horseshit. Newspapers haven't been loyal to us. There's no expectation of loyalty back. Do what you need to do.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

yup. i'm mayo in "an officer and a gentleman."

also too many years in and too old to start over. still don't know anything else i'd want to do. yup, the biz will do me in before i ever bow out of my own volition.

sad but true. the life has been very, very good to me and the entire shockey family. i'm going down with the ship.

6. HorseWhipped

HorseWhipped Guest

It ain't worth it anymore.
    It's tough in the trenches these days.

But we're here because we don't quit.
    The mark of a good journalist. We don't quit.

Wouldn't mind getting laid off at this point,
    but I would never quit the job I'm doing now.

That's what we're all here for.
    The suits can sell us out all they want.

But I'm here till the end, good or bad.
    I just wish I could know how it will play out.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Again . . . w/no bennies.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Could not have said it better.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

I'm still debating.
    Been in it through rough times but never anything like this.
    As long as it continue to pay "some" of the bills, its worth it.
    When it stops doing that, I'll be leaving.

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

I've been having this debate, internally and externally, for a few years. I still enjoy getting people information that they may value, but the actual widgeting isn't that compelling. And there just aren't that many jobs to slide into that, in an expensive part of the world, pay the bills like this one.

11. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

If I could find something that paid somewhat comparably, with any level of job security, I would run to it right now. Haven't found that. Why else do you stay on a sinking ship, confident that your ship's ability to bail is better than that of the sinking ships around it?

That I stay in newspapers is no longer a reflection of my faith in newspapers. It is a reflection of my inability to find another job that pays as well as the job I have.

12. HorseWhipped

HorseWhipped Guest

Me too, Buddy.
    Many of us.
    Maybe lots of us.
    Hang in there regardless.

Draft saved Draft deleted