1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it worth it anymore?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mark2010, Mar 18, 2009.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

After 40 years all I can say is, yes it is still worth it to me.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Some days yes, some days no.

The days when you deal with an overbearing publisher or CEO who wants you not to cover a story because the city involved doesn't advertise in the paper or people tell you they thought your paper shut down make this profession not worth it.

The days when a student you've worked with to turn into a better journalist thanks you for doing so, the days when you see the print product and you know you busted your ass to make it the best it can be despite the odds are the days this profession is worthwhile.

I loved doing the nuts and bolts that went into being a journalist. All the associated shit I hate.

3. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

I'm like the rest of you. It's not worth it. What really became draining was looking over your shoulder, and wondering when the next round of layoffs would be. I've got some very bittersweet feelings right now, but I'm also at peace. It's time to move on, and I'm OK with it.

4. I never agree with this, the idea that all other jobs suck. I understand the grass is always greener on the other side, etc., etc., etc., but there are plenty of people in this profession who would be just as fulfilled doing something else. Working for a newspaper isn't the end-all, be-all for everybody, and that's OK. It took me a looooooooong time to realize that, by the way. A long, long time.

Do we go overboard with our whining about this profession at times? For sure.

Does that mean that some of the whining isn't valid? No.

5. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

Yes, doing the jobs of five people for the shitty pay of one is sooo worth it.

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Talking about my job is one of the things I dislike about it.

"Oh, you get to sit in the press box! You get in to watch the games for free! You get to talk to the coach!"

Explaining that it's not all fanboi fun goes completely over their heads. Mention working three or four hours after a game and they want to know why you're still there that late or you can't go tailgating. "Work? Oh. That's how all that gets in the newspaper the next day."

Can it be fun? Yes.

Is it all the time? No, and I don't always want to talk about the football team, the coach, the upcoming game, last weekend's game, this weekend's game, the season, the BCS, the Final Four or anything else related to it all the damn time.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

It's worth it for some.
    It's not for many.
    It won't be for most ... soon.

8. My brother is a lawyer. He never shuts up about it.

My wife is a teacher. She nevver shuts up about it.

My best friend is a coach. He never shuts up about it.

Another friend is a cop. He never shuts up about it.

9. Junkie - Just to add on, your point is well taken. I guess it's all about finding something you can be passionate about. There are definitely some humdrum jobs that can be soul killing in different ways, and people would be well advised to avoid those like the plague. Don't jump into something just because it's not this.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Outside of work, I now spend a lot more time with friends I've met through my kids, school etc. than through journalism. None of those people ever go to a wedding or a baby shower for people they work with. None of them know their co-workers' parents from the time they all went out for drinks. All of them shudder at the idea of a married couple working in the same company, let alone 20 feet away from each other.

Also, none of them are ever late for dinner because that spreadsheet is done but they think they can make it just a little better. They don't suddenly switch the start of that long weekend from Thursday night to Friday morning because something came up.

I feel sorry that they've never had a work family. It's something I will always cherish. But on the whole, I envy them greatly and look forward to joining them. It's going to be really nice to have a job instead of a career. (Provided that this theoretical "job" actually surfaces at some point.)

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

For me, yes, it's still worth it.

Sure, there are bad days. Sure, the layoffs and pay cuts we've seen at my shop have lowered morale a lot. But that's certainly not unique to newspapers.

But there are those rare days when you do a great feature on, say, a kid who has overcome a lot to have some success in life. Or when corruption and corner-cutting is uncovered in government -- that serves the public good. It doesn't happen as often as it used to in newspapers, but it sure doesn't happen many other places.

And then there's the issue of pay. Yes, I think we all could be paid better -- it'd be great to make, oh, $35 or $40K a year someday. But I know a lot of people who are paid worse, and who are exploited more.

If you want to meet some of them, just head on down to the local Tyson or IBP plant. Or go outside of this country and see what people get paid to make our shoes, toys and clothes in sweatshop conditions.

Once workers WORLDWIDE are treated better, the global economy will be a whole lot healthier. Hopefully newspapers and the people who work for them can be part of that process.

OK ... I yield the soapbox to the next person.

12. spud

spud Member

Here's my take; I feel as if it's impossible for us "newbies" just getting our feet wet to do much damage in this business anymore. With the diluted pool of out-of-work talent that the industry has created, I just feel like I'd be treading water or running in quicksand for the rest of my career. There are fewer jobs out there, more applicants and perhaps most importantly, more overqualified candidates than is earthly conceivable.

If you're willing, you can keep cranking out your stuff at the small places, hoping to latch on with some sinking mammoths that probably won't be able to afford your services for very long. But you'll be there for awhile. If not, it's back to school or back to the drawing board. I'm increasingly finding myself in the latter camp.

Draft saved Draft deleted