1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it what you know or who you know?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by newspaperman, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Is this to get a job, or keep a job during a round of layoffs?

To get a job: C. (all of the above)
    To keep a job: D. (none of the above)

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Since it was a classroom setting, I don't know if you're going back, but one thing students should learn is never ever to be embarrassed or shy about using the "who you know" part. A lot of us probably wanted to make it on our own, earn our way etc. when we were young and idealistic. Screw that. Everyone in every industry is looking for a foot in the door, and the only way to get that foot in is to know somebody. An unsolicited resume sits in a different pile.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Like most jobs - if you have a higher up personally invested in your success, you are better off. It's why you see people leave jobs when a new supervisor comes in. They didn't hire you - they can't take credit for anything you do. You go somewhere else - you are "their" hire and they will want you to shine.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

For me, it's been a lot of who I know. My last three jobs have come from people I knew. I've never been fired, so I can apparently at least hold my own. But I would never have gotten a look, probably, if I didn't know someone on the inside.

At the same time, I applied for a copy editing job once at a smaller paper while working the beat on a professional sport because my paper was not a very satisfying place for me at the time. I had a letter of recommendation from a very well-known writer who has won numerous awards. Never even got a call.

5. kmayhugh

kmayhugh Member

I may be personally biased because I feel like I've talked my way into jobs above my skill level before, but interview skills are a huge part of career advancement.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I like this. I'd make it a Yogi-ism, saying 90 percent of this biz is now half luck. Gotta be with so few openings.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Question is incorrect. If it's assumed that everything other industry is based on who you know, why in hell would journalism be any different?

Why is the premise that every other industry is based on who you know accepted?

8. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

This.

9. writingump

writingump Member

I would say that who trumps what, but the way papers are cutting salaries regardless of talent or accomplishment, I'm not sure who or what truly matters at many places any more.

10. Mediator

Mediator Member

In this economy, there might 250 applicants for a plum job. Let's say 100 are qualified, would do a good job if picked. But only one gets a shot and it's almost always someone with a connection to the one doing the hiring.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I like that. That's probably the best answer we've had.

The truth of the matter is, knowing the right people can get you a job, but those people also have to know that you're good. The lone exception could be your first gig when sometimes SEs have to take a pretty big leap of faith.

12. newspaperman

newspaperman Member

Follow up question: with the way sports news is nowadays (Twitter, blogs, etc.), will audiences pay for sports news in the future?

Draft saved Draft deleted