1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it true? re: pay

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rusty Shackleford, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I've heard that at many places, designers often are paid more than their writing/reporting counterparts. Is this true? Is it true that a designer at an average newspaper earns more money than a writer with the same experience at the same paper?

2. Oh yes. Reporters are a dime a dozen. Design is a relatively new specialty and good ones make mucho bucks.

3. VJ

VJ Member

For the most part, yes. It's supply and demand.

On the other hand, elite writers make much more than elite designers I think.

4. What he said. Of course, writers (well, columnists) have a much higher salary ceiling than designers (unless they eventually enter management).

EDIT: Dammit, VJ beat me to it.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

If I were hiring a reporter and a copy editor/designer and I was given a $30k slot and a $35k slot, I'd give the $35 to the good editor/designer and still get 10x the applicants for the reporter position.

6. There's always exceptions. I went to school with a lot of designers and they all got to the major metros before I did and are making great salaries. It's a different world.

7. Editude

Editude Active Member

Designers tend to start a little higher but don't have as many levels to boost their pay. Managers still tend to come from word editors.

8. boots

boots New Member

It's why there is an us and them mentality in many newsrooms.

9. VJ

VJ Member

Which makes no sense considering I'm not bitter than columnists are making more than your standard designer.

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

This is so true. It's much harder to fill that news editor/designer spot.
    I will get 20 resumes from writer before I receive one news editor/designer. In 13 years of hiring/firing, I've been approached once for a design internship. Writers, I will get 13 a week.

11. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

I started out as a designer, made at least $3 per hour more than a starting reporter. From there, I moved into a full-time writing spot, but kept the same pay rate. I'm well aware that I was fortunate in my situation.

12. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

I think in my shop the deskers and reporters are more or less on the same scale.
    But at another paper in town, the deskers make a bunch more.
    And at the other daily, I think the pressmen make $115K for a four-day week.
    So we know where the money is. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted