1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is It Too Late?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I'm barely 30-something, played varisty sports in college and played men's league basketball and slo pitch as recently (late as?) 2003.

But the past four years, I haven't done shit. I've gained way too much weight for my liking.

I want to start playing hoops again a half hour a day (there's a hoop just a vacant lot away from my apartment), but seriously, I'm worried I'm gonna drop dread on the court in the heat. I plan on joining a men's league team in October.

Is it ever too late or too worrisome to start working out, running, playing basketball etc?

2. John

John Well-Known Member

Never too late. But take it easy at the beginning.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

You'll be fine. Just go play.
    Unless you've gotten so out of shape that you're experiencing health problems, no worries.

4. Pete Incaviglia

Nah. Nothing like that. I just haven't done jack squat for four years. I mean, it's not like I'm dying after climbing four flights of stairs to my apartment or anything like that.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You'll be fine. I live my life by few rules, but one I'll always stay true to is Pete Incaviglia can do anything.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Maybe you can split time with Jim Eisenreich?

7. pa writer

pa writer Member

Let me echo what everyone here is saying. I was never a super athlete, but played in high school and in intermural leagues in college. Two years out of school, I was married, enjoying home cooking and began to look like a pair with chins.

That was my motivation to join a gym, where I began playing basketball again (my new fat ass was a great advantage on the block, not so much when running the floor) and running laps. I'm not exactly svelte now, but dropped significant weight and have kept it off as I approach my 30s. One of the best decisions I made, especially considering some family health problems.

8. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I hadn't played basketball regularly since high school gym, but picked it back up after a four-year break. Took a month or two to feel like I could do anything, but now I am at least servicable in our paper's thrice-weekly games.

Go for it. I forgot how much fun basketball was and how much of a workout running up and down the court, then banging bodies, for 90 minutes can be.

9. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

just go slow with some general cardio - maybe swimming. once you get that down, you'll be fine. oh, and that whole thing about drinking a lot of water to stay hydrated or something to that effect.

10. Pete Incaviglia

I'm actually pumped. I miss hoops so much. The wife was with me when I bought a new ball and the needles for the air. She even said I was like a kid in the aisles of Wal-Mart.

There had been roofers tarring the roof of the school where I plan to plan and every day I looked out the window PRAYING they'd leave. Today was their last day. Tomorrow's my first!

When I was in high school I'd shoot baskets for, literally, hours. A friend and I once played a game of one-on-one by ones and twos to 100.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

One time my friend and I played to 21. Man, that took a while. I was always a better baseball player.

12. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

I play in a couple of sports leagues and one thing I've learned: It's never to late in life to pick up some balls ... and start playing .... sports.

:)
    Seriously, in one of my competitive (not rec) leagues, I'm playing against people who are 20+ years older than me and many a Moon Pie heavier.

Draft saved Draft deleted