1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it possible that Dale Jr. just isn't an elite NASCAR driver?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, May 29, 2009.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Possible? No. Probable to definite? Yes.

Junior was winning with DEI, but he was winning on the superspeedways when DEI had that restrictor plate shit figured out. He has 18 career wins, 17 of them at DEI. Seven of those, nearly half, came at either Daytona or Talladega.

He's been a fair-to-middlin' driver on the rest of the tracks, with a few wins pulled out. Without taking into account money or sponsorship, just on basic driving levels, there are more than a handful of drivers in that garage I'd take first.

I was talking to kleeda about this. He said in an IROC-type series (everyone has the same equipment), Junior would finish 11th or 12th. I took him more literally and said if we're literally talking about stock cars, where it's all on the driver to figure it out and do more than the other guys...I'm not sure he'd finish top 15.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Whattttt? "Mountain Music" is one of the best songs of all time, and "The Closer you Get" is a great song, too.

;)

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

True - I think Junior is in his "The Touch/Angels Amonst Us" phase.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Solid.

The closer you get, the further I fall. I'll be over the edge now in no time at all. :D

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Answer to thread question: Yes, it's quite possible.

6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Your are correct but it's those of us who can make that comparison that really don't. Most of today's Johnny-come-lately post Days of Thunder NASCAR fans have no idea what you are talking about.

I'll see your Kyle Petty and raise you Larry Pearson. ;D

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hell, how many NASCAR fans today have even seen Days of Thunder?

I remember when the DoT video game came out for Sega Genesis. It was awesome. I was also 9. :D

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Kerry Earnhardt. End of thread.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You see my note on the NASCAR thread? Kerry's kid, Jeffrey, is starting his Nationwide career this weekend.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

I saw that - no better way to jumpstart a racing career than to have a father in the business, whether or not that father deserves to be there.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Jeffrey is, by all accounts, the real deal.

Course, I also figured Logano for a can't-miss, and, well, it's early but ...

12. Question: If Dale Jr. is Alabama, who is The Oak Ridge Boys?

Draft saved Draft deleted