1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is It "No Problem" That "You're Welcome" Is Disappearing?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BNWriter, Feb 5, 2009.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Are you in Banff? Whistler? :)

2. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

IJAG: I remember this thread, but I brought the article I mention on this thread because, in the 2 1/2 years since Dyno wrote, language has shifted (and not for the better, IMO). Surely, as writers, that ought to concern us.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's definitely a generational thing. I had a boss who would probably have responded better to
    "fuck off whore" than she did whenever someone said "No Problem"

She was in serious need of a life.

4. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I wish. The Aussie influence is strong even here in Cowtown.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Over the past six months, I have been using more formal expressions (although I still overwhelming us 'no problem') around campus. I refer to everyone as Mr. _____, Ms. ______, Prof. _______ or Dr. ______ as appropriate. Not in a dour way, but in a cheerful.
    I've noticed it's catching on a bit, or else people are just speaking that way around me.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Also, 'your welcome' in response to a 'thank you' indicates the person is not indebted to you for your action or favor.
    'No problem' indicates the exact same thing.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Here, I think, is the problem.

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I prefer the normal, formal verbiage: Thank you, You're welcome, please, yes sir, no sir, yes ma'am, no ma'am.

"Good Times" was a television show with JJ Walker. "No problem" may suffice in some instances.

9. In German, it is "Macht nicht."

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Why does almost every German phrase sound like it's full of hate, anger and hostility?

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

The language matches the people.

Ich ville ala tote machen!!

Draft saved Draft deleted