1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is It "No Problem" That "You're Welcome" Is Disappearing?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BNWriter, Feb 5, 2009.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Saw this and wondered what writers thought of the change in language. Apparently, "No Problem" is gaining and on verge of overtaking "You're Welcome" in response to "Thank You."

Any Linguists out there among the SportsJournalists.com crowd? If so, please weigh in.

I have gotten used to "no problem." It's "It's All Good" that sends me climbing the wall in response to a thank you (and it has happened on occasion).

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2009/02/04/news/doc49887c1394abf861188095.txt

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

"You're welcome" ... "no problem" ... "don't worry about it" ...

It's all good. :D

3. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

The Spanish and the French both say, "It's nothing" (de nada and de rien). That doesn't seem too far in meaning from "No problem."

Perhaps this is another sign of the U.S. being corrupted by international standards?

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's a generational thing

I used to hate "no problem", but as the article says, it's better than "yup" and I'm resigned to it now.

I like the British approach where there are only two stages, "please" and "thank you".

Anything after that is superfluous.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Damn those evil French! Where are my freedom fries?!?

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Language evolves. All languages evolve.
    The important thing is the respect and civility behind the language.
    I say 'no problem' all the time. I have for as long as I can remember. There's nothing wrong with it.
    If I do something, I expect someone to acknowledge it with an expression of gratitude. I, in turn, acknowledge that expression of gratitude with an expression of graciousness.
    The words are not as important as the motivation behind the words: respect, civility, politeness.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

So long as common courtesy is increasingly countenanced as a sign of weakness . . .

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with "no problem." As mentioned before, the Spanish phrases for your welcome (de nada and no hay de que) essentially translate to "it's nothing." People also have said "don't mention it" or "don't worry about it" in response to "thank you."

"It's all good" is slang that may or may not remain in the lexicon after the next few years. It essentially means the same thing. Like Buck said, it's the civility behind the expressions that counts more than the actual expressions.

A "uh huh" in response? There's a problem. A"mmm hmm" that you'd use in response to doing something you really don't want to do? Bigger problem. "Yeah, whatever"? Another problem.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

De nada.

10. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

This is going to sound odd now that I've typed it all out, but ...

I've always used "You're welcome" as a response to a difficult or larger favor - one where I'm inconvenienced and do something for someone else.

"Hey, thanks for giving that story a second look." "You're welcome."

Then the "No problem" or "It's OK" or "Yep" always comes if someone says something that really isn't a big deal.

"Hey, grab me that tape dispenser on your way over here." "Here you go." "Thanks." "No problem."

11. highlander

highlander Member

I open doors for people all the time, women and men, at stores, restaurants, whatever because to me it is "no problem" just common courtesy, which you don't see much anymore.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

friend of the friendless will be by, shortly.

This thread will be no problem for him.

Mmm-hmmm.

Draft saved Draft deleted