1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it just more, or...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MCEchan36, Oct 7, 2006.

1. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

Did the Tigers' celebration seem too over-the-top, considering they didn't win anything yet? Also, if Detroit was playing anyone else, would we have seen footage like Zumaya chugging two bottles of Dom on top of the dugout or Rogers dousing a cop? I think not.

2. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I was just saying the same thing, when it happened. I don't get the super-celebration in the ALDS. Making the playoffs and World Series, obviously you live it up. And winning it is a no-brainer. But these celebrations seem a little premature. But hey, live in the moment right? You really shouldn't criticize someone for being happy.

Although if I'm Bonderman, I don't let fans smack me in the arm all night.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

No and no.

119 losses three years ago and a total end-of-regular-season choke at home were surmounted with this series win that will go down as one of the great upsets in sports history.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This just in ... Detroit cop fired for allowing Kenny Rogers to poor champagne over his head.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

No way.

If you want over the top, unnecessary celebrations, look no further than last Sunday when Freddy Sanchez won the NL batting title. I'm surprised the Pirates didn't erect a statue right there.

6. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

Yes, I understand that the Tigers' turn-around is a good story and all, but would you REALLY consider this a real upset? The Yankees obviously held the advantage with the overall lineup and closer, but would you seriously favor the Yankees' staff over the Tigers, plus Detroit was a better team with the glove. But anyway...

My biggest problem is this: should the Tigers lose to the A's, they aren't anything but WILD CARD winners. They aren't champions of anything yet. If they win the ALCS, go ahead and chug those bottles & pass them in the crowd. Win the World Series? Go stick an IV of vodka in a vein for all I care, but keep this in perspective, please.

PS - The way the Tigers celebrated was a little cool and diff. from the norm.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yes.

The Tigers haven't had a winning season in 12 years. The Tigers lost 119 games three years ago. The Tigers have Kenny Rogers -- he who hadn't beaten the Yankees since friggin' 1993 (what a stat!) -- as their veteran "ace," and a 23-year-old who nearly lost 20 games a couple years ago as their best pitcher.

The Yankees have The Greatest Lineup Ever Assembled (tm). The Yankees have 1,000 games of postseason experience. The Yankees have two MVPs and a Cy Young winner.

Yes.

Huge fucking upset.

This is a HUGE upset.

8. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Yeah agreed. One thing I liked was watching Detroit fans go crazy. Amazing turnaround for them.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yes it is a huge upset. Yes the celebration was way over the top for a first-round series.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

If someone is coming back from paralysis and takes his/her first step, it is worth a champagne celebration.

Taking that same step means nothing to you or me.

Depends wholly on your perspective, I believe.

Not over the top.

11. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

OK, OK. I'm wrong about this not being a huge upset, but don't put this in a "biggest upsets ever" category. I'm still recovering from October '04.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Among biggest upsets in baseball, not to mention sports in general.

Draft saved Draft deleted