1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it just me?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by micke77, Feb 18, 2009.

1. micke77

micke77 Member

Is there something in the genes or DNA of a full-blooded journalist, sometimes I-can't-get-it-out-of-my-veins journalist that he has some, or all, of the following traits:

1-Loves to go to bookstores.
    2-Enjoys checking out new pens, writing devices and other tools of the trade at Office Depot, Office Max, Staples, etc.
    3-Has a cluttered vehicle that usually prevents cohorts from having a comfortable seat because space is taken by press guides, footballs, basketball, sports books and assorted other stuff.

I have just found this to be so freakin' common amongst our kind....and, yes, the aforementioned fall into my DNA.
    Just wondering or do I need to call up the local psychiatrist and get help? ;)
    And are there some other traits that run across-the-board that I have missed?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I got 1 and 2. 3, not so much.

3. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

I'm the opposite. I have trait 3. Perhaps I would have traits 1 and 2 if I had the money to patronize the aforementioned establishments.

4. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Same here.

5. micke77

micke77 Member

yea, the cluttered vehicle part is some part of my journalistic DNA, but right now I've got mine fairly "livable."...i got a camera and three Reporter's notepads on the back seat and that's about it..

but I hear Office Depot calling.
    there's a dang new pen out by Uniball out that I wanna check out. ;)

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Uniball is my current pen of choice. Go with the 207 in medium. They make a pink version (ink is black) as part of their project that donates 25,000 to breast cancer research. I bought a bunch and gave them to the staff here as part of our "pink out" game last Sunday.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Become a desker. We don't live out of our cars so much. ;)

But, yeah, journalist types -- or at least news junkies -- are pretty distinguishable.

8. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

If not a desker, at least someone who travels/works from home mostly. My car is spotless because I rarely use it for work purposes now.

9. micke77

micke77 Member

Moderator1....thanks for the Uniball 207 suggestion...i am going to get some of those and may pass 'em out to our staffers, too. appreciate it.

when I covered the NCAA women's basketball tournament in Denver several years ago, I found a store totally devoted to writing pens in a shopping mall. I was in freakin' heaven...One of the brands that is really good, but usually found only in such stores, is Lamy. I love that brand, but they can be expensive.

10. UnforcedError

UnforcedError New Member

I'd have to go with "yes" on all three. However, I blame some of the clutter in the Expedition on my kids.

11. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

Expedition? What the hell does your wife do?

12. micke77

micke77 Member

Several of us on the staff were getting ready to go out and have dinner the other day and all of us said almost at the same time: "okay, whose car is the cleanest so we have room to seat everybody?"

Draft saved Draft deleted