1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it just me or are today's younger journalists lazy?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bigugly, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Bigugly,

Stop helping people.

There. Another problem solved.

Of course, I am old and so don't mind the extra work.

2. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I was going to argue that we're not lazy, but that would be far too much work.

3. leo1

leo1 Active Member

it's just you

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

At the risk of trying to give a serious answer on a thread that's getting jacked ... I do think there is some difference in the way you have to motivate and manage younger employees. I think some recognition of that has been on the table for a while. Back in the mid-90s, when I wastedspent a lot of time reading management books and such, that was a common theme.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

What, you mean one day I might be able to work for a company that keeps fucking me in the ass on a daily basis and expects me to say, "Thank you sir. May I have another?"

Yes, why, I think I'll pass.

(Seriously: It's not the "motivation" that needs to be different for younger employees. It's the treatment. ... Fucking me over is not going to make me work harder. Sorry.)

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The "youngsters" in this culture have been shaped by people well into their 40s and 50s. Namely, they've watched a lot of Baby Boomers of all income levels, political parties, genders and races act pretty foolish. You think young people have a sense of entitlement? Ha. Everybody does. Everybody wants what they want because they want it and thinks what they think because they think it. We live in a country full of people who think they're the first person to want/think the things/thoughts they want/think.

It's involuntary selfishness. It started, oh, after the New Deal. Really got going in the 60s.

My advice? Don't give people advice, even young people, unless they ask for it. In personal interactions, life should be a lot more about listening than telling - even when you're getting older. It wouldn't have been so bad to say to your staff member: "I want you to know I recommended you to so-and-so. If you're interested, they are." And just leave it at that.

7. joe king

joe king Active Member

My advice to you is don't give advice. Was that intentional irony, or did it just come out that way?

8. leo1

leo1 Active Member

what the HELL does that mean?

9. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

How did this thread get this nasty? Seemed like a fair request for thoughts to me. Or maybe this board is as heavily populated by the under-25 crowd as it sometimes seems.

10. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

One to supply the sack, the other the bricks.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, the subject line asks one question and then the post seems to veer off into several directions. So I was put off, to tell the truth, and I'm not even young.

12. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Can we be friends, Buckweaver? That was beautiful.

One could make an argument for self-motivation, but that quickly goes out the window when the higer-ups keep giving you the Boots treatment.

Draft saved Draft deleted