1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Is it ever OK to spank a child?'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 30, 2013.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The real Dick Whitman goes soft on his kids because of his upbringing - son of a whore, the "uncle" apparently used to abuse him.

But I'm only on season 3, maybe things change.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I was hit a few times by my mom and dad. Most times my dad threatened to hit by taking the wedding ring off his pinky (never figured out why it was on his pinky) and lifting his hand as if to smack me but he'd usually refrain.

The hitting never deterred anything.

I doubt I'll have kids even though I want them. If I do I will not spank.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's what you say now, but it is so difficult to know what you will do and how your ideas will change once you actually have a child of your own.

4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Yes, it is.
    And every kid is different and responds to different forms of discipline.

5. Songbird

My mom's Jewish Guilt killed me much worse than any hitting/slapping.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think Mizzou's takes are very good. Spanking and beating are two different things.

Whenever I spank, it usually is only once and never more than three. You also should not do it when you are pissed.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Jewish Guilt also affects everyone in earshot.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think that's true in many cases. But views on corporal punishment is something that is pretty anchored in a person's personal philosophy. I don't doubt that some change their minds. But I don't think this is quite as malleable of a tenet as, say, swearing that you will potty train a particular way.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, I hate the way the initial question was worded.

Is it ever OK? It's very judgmental way to ask about how you discipline your kids.

If it's your go-to method of discipline for your kids, that's a problem.
    If you do it regularly, that's a problem.
    If it escalates beyond an open hand, or become a face slap, that's a problem.

But ever?

10. Songbird

I was raised in the lion's den. My parents yelled and screamed like motherfuckers so many nights, just fucking went at it, and the entire neighborhood heard it. How do I know this? I'd hear them from blocks away on the way home from playing basketball or riding my bike. It was really an awful environment to grow up in.

But Jewish Guilt isn't so loud. It's subtle and it's devastating.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think the author asked it that way because, in the piece, she actually does explore situations in which it might be justified. She talks about single mothers in bad neighborhoods a lot, for example.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That is what the "No kid should ever be spanked" crowd fails to understand. No one is advocating spanking a child in anger. That is NEVER appropriate.

Draft saved Draft deleted