1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it even possible to "move up the ladder" anymore?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spud, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

My point is still valid. Many old-timers are sticking around, probably because their 401(k)s are hosed. Less jobs in general added on to that, and it's pretty hard to move up.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sure it's possible to move up the ladder. I went from part-time pizza delivery driver to full-time.

3. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

What ladder?

4. spud

spud Member

This is ultimately what I'm thinking. You'd better be hunkered down in a good spot and hope somebody in front of you gets axed. Even from the qualified candidates, I can't see an SE at a metro these days looking at a wayward application and think, "we need to hire this guy." Or even "we need to put this fella on the radar." Even if they had an opening, its like squeezing a golf ball through a garden hose.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't feel like the rungs have been indescriminantly lopped off. I just feel like the upper third of the ladder has dissolved.

5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

This is why I'm very happy that my first job is one with great people in the newsroom and in a place that I like. It's so important for your first job to be one you'll like because it's that much harder to get a second.

6. NDub

NDub Guest

God, I can't wait to get out of this profession. Threads like this just bother the hell out of me. (I know, I know, then don't read them.)

7. spud

spud Member

I think all of us know this stuff, its just another matter to confront it with your working peers in the open.

It sucks, but having a plan and knowing where you stand certainly does not. The fact that you're looking to get out is probably positive step #1.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

These threads remind me that I do need to get out. If I stop reading them, I convince myself it's okay.

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Nice pull.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

if i was soon-to-be 22 instead of 52, i'd be running away from newspapers. never, ever thought i'd advocate that but it's true.

now, if i was hellbent on journalism, i'd still go for it. but jobs on the internet will be far fewer to come by than newspaper gigs. and i don't know if "climbing the ladder" will be part of the fabric.

it breaks my heart but seems true. :'( :'( :'(

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Lots of managements are running off old-timers for you, either directly through layoffs and buyouts or by making their jobs or workplaces unpleasant. But few are filling any of those jobs, now or ever.

Draft saved Draft deleted