1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is having a girl on the wrestling team news anymore?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ostentatious, Nov 18, 2007.

1. ostentatious

ostentatious Member

So a guy in my office and I were talking about how there was likely going to be a girl on this season's wrestling team. Is this even news anymore? Or is it so 1995?

He seemed fairly sure he wouldn't be writing a 'hey we have a girl on the team' story, and I thought maybe that story could be held for a couple of weeks to see if she was 1) any good or 2) wouldn't cry and quit the team once someone slaps on the Saturday Night Ride at some point.

Curious if anyone else is faced with that kind of situation and how they would approach it.

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

"Hey, there's a girl on the team" is not really news, unless it's the first time that's been the case at this school or in the coverage area.

It might be a story if she's had to fight to join the team or the coach really didn't want her on the team but the administration overruled him.

3. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

It seems like a story to me, as long as the girl is actually wrestling, not just filling out a roster spot.

Are other teams forfeiting rather than putting wrestlers up against her? Has it cost anyone a match?

There have been several female wrestlers in my area over the past few years. One in particular was quite good, and had trained with guys -- including one who went on to be a state champion -- since she was in elementary school. She's a wrestler who happened to be a girl, and she turned out to be an interesting subject.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

it seems more 1985 to me.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

If she's good, it could be quite an interesting story -- as far as how she got into wrestling, what hardships, if any, she's had to overcome because of her gender, what her parents thought of her wrestling with boys. And if she's really good, it'll be a fun story to watch unfold.

6. It was a good episode of Saved By The Bell.

7. If she's a starter, run it.

Not any worse than the "guy succeeds despite rough neighborhood/single-mother family/debilitating illness" stories we see ALL the time.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so, you're signing off on shit on top of shit for shit's sake?

9. Doesn't have to run on 1fuckingA. Run it inside. And if it's done by a good enough writer, it doesn't have to be shit.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Kristie Barnes was a looker, too. My favorite part of that episode was when Jessie started freaking out because Lisa was talking about Kristie dating a "hunk," so she slams down the radio on the hallway garbage can and the KKTY Bayside ID wavers in and out. Then she tells Zack what Lisa said, and he says, "What am I, chopped liver?"

11. Scribe4Sports

Scribe4Sports New Member

Is what constitutes being 'good' for a female wrestler different than that for a male?

I have a female wreslter in my small coverage area. If she gets close to winning half of her matches, is that as story-worthy as your typical 1- or 2-loss male wrestler?

12. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

What if it's proven that she's a starter who succeeded despite living in a rough neighborhood with a single mother who has a debilitating illness? Now THAT's news!

Draft saved Draft deleted