1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Georgia In Play For Obama?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go that far (though I do recognize your sarcasm). Point is, this election ought to be a good test to see if younger voters can make a difference in the general election, because Obama's seemingly done all he can to woo younger voters.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's good to know that Obama has tapped the youth vote. Because we didn't hear that with any previous election.

Every election we hear the same thing and it never happens. The percentage of turnout among kids 18-24 is always the worst of any demographic. That's not going to change this year. It's unfortunate, but it's reality.

3. Mizzougrad96

I would agree with that. I still don't think it will matter. I was a freshman in college when Clinton ran and everyone kept saying how the youth was going to make such a difference. When the numbers came back about how many people in the 18-24 range were registered, much less voted, it was embarrassing.

I don't see that changing.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

It doesn't happen because they don't want to vote, often times they can't.
    Like they aren't registered to vote in the state where they attend college or something similar.

5. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Vote or Die

6. Mizzougrad96

Diddy didn't vote in that election.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Whether it really is in play, Obama has enough money to make McCain defend it, as well as states such as Indiana, Montana, North Carolina, Virginia that are close enough in play. Heck, Obama has enough to make big TV pushes in every state. That's one reason why McCain is desperate to have the town hall meetings -- it's TV coverage he can't afford to buy. Obama did the same thing with Clinton, making her spend enormous amounts of money she didn't have in Pennsylvania, Ohio and Indiana because he could.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I'm debating whether it would be worth it to visit Mom and Dad and spend a week signing up unregistered voters.

With Sonny's new poll tax laws, voting is harder than ever in Georgia.

9. Mizzougrad96

Or they're too lazy.

10. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I registered to vote in the state I was going to school in. It wasn't hard.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

FB just rolled a skinhead and doesn't know why.

And the ID requirement, which is patently not a poll tax, was approved by such jack-booted wingnuts as John Paul Stevens and Stephen Bryer.

12. If they voted in primaries - which they did - they sure as hell will vote in the general.

You're living in the past. This is a different year.

Draft saved Draft deleted