1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is FOX News' Correspondent Jesse Watters Going Too Far Here?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BNWriter, Jul 2, 2014.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

"O'Reilly Factor" Correspondent Jesse Watters makes a little news of his own:

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=875666&ocid=rr-tv-news

Refers to black single women as "Beyoncé voters."

I treat him as the correspondent that he is, but he has soooooo much smarm at times that I can barely tolerate him, despite the fact he purposely chooses to interview some of the most brain-dead creatures on the planet for his pieces.

But is this comment going too far, or just reflecting something culturally?

And please restrict your comments to THIS ITEM -- No need for any anti-O'Reilly, anti-FOX-as-a-whole tangents here. (TO THE MODERATORS: If you need to move this, please LET ME KNOW WHERE you will/have move this to. Thanks.).

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Anyone who watches cable "news" of any variety forfeits the right to complain. It's your own fault.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Agree with this.

It's more awkward and stupid than it is offensive.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Yep

5. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I don't think he's actually referring to black single women. The 76 percent he cites, I believe, are all single ladies, and he's making a reference to Beyonce's song title, not race.

6. RecoveringJournalist

That makes sense. I'm not sure I would have made that connection, but you're probably right.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

"They depend on government because they're not depending on their husbands" is WAY more offensive than the Beyonce stuff.

8. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

For the record, LTL, I saw this on the web. I did not see this on cable.

I, personally, wish there were a cable network that just delivered news -- no talk hosts with brain-dead & "What I have to say matters" attitudes, no left/right screaming matches. Just what happened today while I was out earning a living (What CNN Headline News should go back to being, as far as I'm concerned -- tell Dr. Drew & Nancy to pack & go).

Yeah, I know -- never going back to that. I just wanted to vent vs. Watters' branching out to expressing an opinion. Can't stand him. OK.....I'm done (at least until the next idiot in front of a camera opens his/her mouth). Carry on.....

9. RecoveringJournalist

There's also a difference between being a Fox News correspondent and being a correspondent for a show like O'Reilly's.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

No, there isn't.

11. RecoveringJournalist

How do you figure that?

I've never heard of Watters, so I don't know what other duties he has for Fox, but he was on a talk show, not a news show.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They're all talk shows and they all carry the same slant.

Draft saved Draft deleted