1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Fournier saving or destroying the AP?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 14, 2008.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Ron should have went and bought a McRib* instead of sending that e-mail to Rove.

*Inside media baseball

AP in my state is completely different, I think they do a really good job and I don't say that I because I string for them.

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Wow...that's pathetic. I didn't realize how much he was in the bag for McCain...

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

You mean just news side, right?

4. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

The cynical way in which the AP inserted editorial into its obituary of Tony Snow was despicable. Media across the board treated Tim Russert's death with absolute reverence and respect, which was fine, but to then turn around and poke and prod at Snow in his obituary is just outright politicism. Regardless of your political bent and what you thought of Snow, his commentary and his tactis as Bush's media guy, a same-day obit is not the place to take shots.

Shame on you, AP.

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Goddamned liberal media.

6. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Wasn't Fournier the one who called Gore's people on Election Night 2000 to tell them not to concede?

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

In one email, Rove asked, "How does our country continue to produce men and women like this?" Fournier responded: "The Lord creates men and women like this all over the world. But only the great and free countries allow them to flourish. Keep up the fight."

Fournier shouldn't even have a job at AP but now he's in charge of the Washington bureau. Unfuckingbelievable. Terribly sad, too.

8. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

A funny part of that regrettable exchange is that Pat Tillman wasn't religious at all. In reality, his death was due to his free will to quit football and join the army, not from any divine intervention.

If you look through Fournier's history, he's been hard on the Bush team too. It's not like they hired Bill Kristol to run things.

9. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Hey Ron,

If you are reading this string, contact me.
    We grew up together on the east side of Detroit. I lived on Manning. You lived on Corum, though I knew your brother, Tim, better.
    My dad was a fireman; yours a cop.

One of the Martin boys (the eldest).

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

One of those Fourniers? My parents were good friends with his..

11. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Slappy,

I'm slapping you from a few hundred miles south.

:)

T

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Fournier's name keeps popping up these days ...

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0708/12149.html

Draft saved Draft deleted