1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Fournier saving or destroying the AP?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Not sports, but interesting I think ...

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0708/11716.html

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Destroying. I don't care what someone whose stories will not appear regularly in my paper thinks.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'd be a much-happier night editor if the AP would send more than 22 stories on a Saturday or Sunday. Many weekends I have 18- to 20-page news holes, and AP just doesn't send enough stories my circulation area gives a rat's ass about. The Jersey AP office is pretty good most weekends, but I still need to fill a lot of national and world pages. Also, ever hear of sending shorter, for-tabloid-size pieces?

I think AP would be wise to hold a weekend conference to get suggestions on how to better serve its members.

4. If he wants to have a reporter or two who just writes commentary, I'm OK with that.

Otherwise, AP needs to play it down the middle.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I liked this paragraph because that last thought was running through my mind from the start of the story:

I come from that school of thought -- treat wire copy as malleable. I about shit myself during an interview in the 1990s when an editor told me that even on AP stories, they "try to preserve the writer's voice." I wonder if they are having second thoughts now.

6. Songbird

I've been told to hack the shit out of AP stories.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

If we use a quoter on an AP baseball story, we automatically axe the lead.

8. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

I was one upset camper when Sandy left. She was and is a pro's pro. Nice lady with titanium cajones.

Ron was a kick-ass staff writer.

It's the new AP. Little Lou is gone. Curly's in charge. They've ratcheted up the pressure on bureaus, though I never thought that was possible.

My best guess is Mother AP will become the training ground for delivering news in new ways. Better? We'll see.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Media Matters on Fournier ...

http://mediamatters.org/columns/200807220006?f=h_column

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

How 'BOUT that! . . .

11. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

They need to drastically improve their state coverage. We have one freakin' state page and it's a struggle to fill every day. We get about 10 5-inch bullshit stories they've lifted from local papers. We're lucky to get anything over 15 inches and damn near doing handstands if we can get a photo with it.

12. Songbird

I was pleasantly surprised last week when I logged into AP Exchange and saw that I now have a link to all 50 states for news. It could be someone here upgraded my account but whatever the case I like having more news links to choose from. Usually I was limited to Philly, Jersey and Maryland for state news. I still prefer local news, and beyond that Jersey and Philly stories, but now I can click onto any state to fill news holes, which I had to do a few times this weekend. California's always good for juicy stories i.e. murder, gangsta life, shit like that.

I'm pretty happy with Jersey AP.

Draft saved Draft deleted