1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Erik Bedard this big of a jerk?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WaylonJennings, Aug 17, 2007.

1. txscoop

txscoop Member

Sounds a lot like Bob Knight

2. markvid

markvid Guest

That's a very good comparison.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Headbutt has no idea why he just punched a wall.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Or Mike Mussina

5. I read the whole article wondering why he "only" has 12 wins. I'm assuming that's because he doesn't get the run support ... but if you're going to mention that in a story three or four times you'd think the writer would address it.

6. joe

joe Active Member

Which would you rather have, a guy who won't talk or a guy who spews jock-speak cliches and half-truths? I'll take the former.
    Would this have even been an issue 40 years ago? I think not.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

See:
    BULLPEN, lack of

8. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I don't mind athletes who don't want to talk to the press, but you can't be such a fucking asshole about it. I'm not sure if what Nelson said about him getting all friendly once the tape recorders go off is true, but please. This guy is a Steve Carlton redux if he goes somewhere like NY, Philly or Boston.

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Exactly. If the guy doesn't want to talk, fine. But don't say "Stupid question, next," or walk away while a reporter is in mid-question. That's just being an arrogant prick.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

He's never been the most talkative guy. Sometimes he's a dick about it. Sometimes he just makes clear he isn't going to give you much. Has been like that for years. He's a good pitcher, but he sucks to cover. I'll give him this, he has improved the last few weeks after Trembley told him to give at least the minimum. But some of his post-gamers have been antagonistically snotty. He'll be the Toronto media's (most likely at least) problem come 2009, and probaby someone else's about a year from now.

11. Garner

Garner Member

Damn Canadians, with their beady eyes and flappin' heads.

Draft saved Draft deleted