1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Edgerrin James a Hall of Famer? Which current players make it to Canton?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Jan 6, 2009.

1. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

I would say no to Warner. Same boat as Randall Cunningham. Had three or four really great years, and the rest was kind of poor to middling.

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Rod Smith definitely has a case, but the discussion about receiver numbers is salient--once you start talking about Smith and Ward, then you've got guys like Jimmy Smith, Holt, Bruce, Derrick Mason, etc.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Question for those who know much more than I about the voting: Does a career all-pro special teamer like Steve Tasker ever have a shot?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

No.

5. Mizzougrad96

If Ray Guy can't get in, no on Tasker.

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Kind of what I figured. I just wasn't sure how they'd weigh a special teamer to a punter/kicker.

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Holmgren gets before Fisher. Coughlin should be in before Fisher.

8. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Agree on Guy over Tasker. Though, if you read Paul Zimmerman, he always said Guy was overrated and he thought Tommy Davis (Old-time Niner) was the better punter. Who knows?

9. Mizzougrad96

I'll always take a Niner over a Raider, but Guy was the best punter I've ever seen.

10. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Derrick Brooks and Brian Urlacher will probably eventually get in.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Holt and Ike Bruce have a ton of TDs, but they played in a passing offense. They could get in, and Bruce might have a better case than Holt.

Ward has 72 career TDs, and he probably will finish with 78-82. That might be 30 more than Mason.

If Ward has another season like he just had, I think he is in. If he retires this season, then it is a lot more debatable.

12. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

I knew I forgot Hutchinson. And as a Michigan grad, I can't believe that happened (though I'm a couple years before his time).

Draft saved Draft deleted