1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Edgerrin James a Hall of Famer? Which current players make it to Canton?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I hope Lorenzo Neal gets strong consideration. Simply the best at his job for years.

2. Hammer Pants

Randy Moss will be there.

3. Hammer Pants

Tony Gonzalez will get in, and Jason Witten could surpass Gonzalez's stats at some point.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Vinatieri

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. He is currently 15th all-time in career receptions with 843. He could easily move into the top 10 next season. There have been seasons that he was considered the best or at least among the top two or three receivers in the game. He is already 9th all-time with 13,201 yards and should be as high as sixth by the end of the '09 season if he stays healthy.

This raises the problem with looking at receivers now because the game has changed so much in the 30 seasons since the NFL changed the rules to open up the passing game. Three of the top five in receiving yardage are active (Isaac Bruce, Marvin Harrison and Terrell Owens).

Just going by statistics without the proper context, somebody like Hines Ward might look like he belongs. I even heard that argument made by the announcers on a Pittsburgh game this season. Ward is the Steelers' all-time leader in receptions with 800, ahead of Hall of Famers John Stallworth and Lynn Swann, good for 22nd all time. IF he plays two more seasons, he could easily be over 900 catches and among the top 10 or 15 all-time. He is 34th with 9,780 yards, but the top 20 isn't out of the question if he plays another two or three seasons. He was the MVP of Super Bowl IX and he has that reputation as the best blocking receiver in the game.

But does he really belong in the Hall of Fame? Even as a Steelers fan who has seen almost every game of Ward's career, I don't think so. First-ballot Hall of Very Good, but not a Hall of Famer.

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

What about Rodney Harrison? Does he have a case?

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

And oop, I don't know if Ward belongs, but you made a pretty good case for him before you dismissed him.

8. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Keep in mind how many players get into the Hall each year. So it would be a big group of current players who are ultimately enshrined. If the following retired today:

The obvious:
    Manning
    Tom Brady
    Brett Favre
    Marvin Harrison
    Randy Moss
    Walter Jones
    Jonathan Ogden (recently retired but contemporary enough)
    Ray Lewis
    Larry Allen
    Junior Seau
    Tony Gonzalez

Other probable HOFers:
    Troy Polamalu
    Alan Faneca
    Ed Reed
    TO
    Urlacher
    Vinatieri (though I'd put Morten or Gary Anderson in first)
    Champ Bailey
    Orlando Pace
    LT
    Richard Seymour (I don't know if he's quite there yet, but he was the defensive cornerstone of 3 SB teams)

Debatable, but less-deserving players are in:
    Antonio Gates
    Kurt Warner
    Isaac Bruce
    Torry Holt
    Edgerrin James

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

He doesn't get enough attention, but Brian Dawkins should be a candidate.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I haven't seen his name mentioned yet, but Terrell Owens will be in the HOF.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Good list... I might add Steve Hutchinson. I would put Shaun Alexander in the debatable category. Owens is a lock, he might have to wait a year, but he'll get in.

12. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I'd say Hines gets in, if not first try then soon after. His stats aren't eye-popping, but he's set team records, won a Super Bowl and should impress voters with his classic, hard-hitting style. Plus he's been pretty consistent. It's not his fault that Cowher and Donohue kept drafting wideouts to unseat him. Speaking of which, where is Troy Edwards these days?

Draft saved Draft deleted