1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Dungy on the hot seat?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I realize it may seem crazy to consider a coach of a 10-3 team could be in jeopardy, but I'll throw the question out there.

As bad as the Chicago's offense is, it is nowhere near as horrid as Indy's defense, and that's why Dungy was hired: to correct Indy's defensive woes to make it a Super Bowl team.

If Indianapolis doesn't make the Super Bowl this season -- especially if the Colts continue limping into the playoffs -- do the Colts consider letting go of Dungy?

I realize letting him go may be costly (I believe he still has two years and $10 million left on his current contract), but the Colts aren't getting any younger and the window of opportunity is closing fast. Next year might be the Colts last best shot at a Super Bowl (Harrison turns 35 next season). Should the Colts look to Dungy to coach that team next year?

2. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Who exactly would put on the heat? The owner and GM who adore him, or the toothless local media that fears the resultant cut in access from the owner and GM should they criticize the team at all ?

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

So who comes in and takes them to a championship next year, then? Parcells?

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

If you cut him loose, you better have a good idea as to who that replacement would be. You can't make that move unless you honestly believe the coach you bring in is better than the one you have.

5. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

Maybe Gruden will work the same magic in Indy he did in Tampa after the Bucs let him go following this season.

6. problem with that is they are no where near putting together even an assemblance of a defense to challenge for a super bowl. At least the Buccs were close when Dunge left. To answer the question about who would you bring in . . .
    Dungy has to show that he is not going to waste another first round pick on an offensive player, and is committed to making defense a priority. If he doesn;t, then he is wasting the Colts chance to compete for a title. UNless they even get an average defense in there, they have no shot. Even St. Louis' defense was average the year they won the super bowl. Letting Dungy go would not be to get to the super bowl the next season, but to get there before the window of opportunity is up on the skill positions players and the offensive line. Once that window closes, the Colts will fall back to the doormats they were before Manning. I have been accused of believeing in Bill Cowher despite his inability to win the Super Bowl (before last season mind you) but my response was that Cowher puts this team in position year in and year out to compete for a super bowl. The difference is the Colts are not in position to win it, because they can't handel a 3-4 defense or play the run.

7. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

Indy media toothless? Kravitz seems pretty tough on the locals, actually.

8. No.
    Next question.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Dungy is not making the early picks for offensive players -- Bill Polian is. Granted, Dungy is being consulted, particularly for whether certain players would fit his defensive scheme. But you can't put all the blame on Dungy for personnel decisions.

Also, it's not as if Dungy's teams have had terrible defenses his whole run. I believe two years ago the Colts had the No. 2 defense. Last year's was middling, but not horrible. It hasn't help that the injury bug has hit harder this year than in past years, exposing a severe lack of depth.

The question of philosophy is this -- was it worth spreading the salary cap money inordinately to the offensive side of the ball, and hoping that Polian's noted late-round magic could take care of the holes on defense? Would it have been worth overpaying Marcus Washington, David Thornton and Mike Petersen to stick around? (That would have been a hell of a linebacking corps had it stayed together.) When they have pitched some money a free agent's way, it's blown up in their face -- see, Corey Simon.

So, no, I doubt Dungy goes anywhere. As an earlier poster said, who would be his replacement? Also, solving the problem might be as simple as finding a big, run-stuffing tackle or two. Not an easy task, necessarily, but one that would probably work.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm sure ESPN will fabricate something in the next couple weeks based on sources in the NFL.

Dungy's a good fit for the team and the community.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Does anybody else think the "window" closed last year?

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Not me. They would probably win it now that no one expects them to.

Draft saved Draft deleted