1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Dr. J lying when he said he couldn't afford an anniversary gift?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by farmerjerome, Aug 11, 2006.

?

Is Dr. J lying when he said he couldn't afford an anniversary gift?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  2. No

16 vote(s)
    76.2%
  1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

So Dr. J and I are celebrating our first wedding anniversary on Saturday.

We've been pretty strapped lately, so he says he was waiting for a new credit card to buy me a gift. Today he ran down to the mailbox as soon as the mail came.

No card.

So he says I'm not getting a gift because he was going to put the remaining amount on the card.

So is he lying or is this something that men do? Honestly, he really doesn't look like he's lying.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

If he's running to the mailbox to see if there's a credit card he can use to buy an anniversary gift, probably not.

EDIT: Happy anniversary. I hope your first year was as happy as was ours.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

He's not lying. That's the only assumption you can make.

If you go the other way, and he wasn't lying, you'll be hurt.

so assume he's not lying, happy day otherwise.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Mrs. J,

I think this calls for the following response:

"Dr. J, I don't want you spending money we don't have for our anniversary. We can make it special without a credit card."

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Don't want to judge his honesty, but for my first anniversary gift with my second wife, I created a very neat thing that had, on 101 pages, the 101 reasons why I loved her.

I did so because we were broke, but I didn't want to NOT give her a gift.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Then tell him your present to him is ass-to-mouth.

Just don't let him see the strap on...

In all seriousness, happy anniversary...

7. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

I thought this post was going to be about Alexandra Stevenson and Julius Erving.

8. farmerjerome

Whatever. ;D

I told him I wanted at least one flower -- even if it ment he drew a rose on paintshop pro and printed it out on picture paper. Actually, I'd probably like that better. It would last longer.

9. Gold

Gold Active Member

If you guys are still paying off college and your wedding, it might well be the truth. And waiting for a credit card to buy a gift is not a good thing.

Maybe you should set a money limit, and see how creative he can be. It's better he uses his mind than a credit card.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Tell him to simply head to the supermarket, grab some ingredients and cook his little heart out for you. It always gets me laid ... every time. I just can't believe it took me so long to figure it out. :-\

11. farmerjerome

Nah, men should do that every couple of weeks. Anniversary better be something like seven courses of gourmet food. Might as well go out.

By the way, spending limits are bullshit. I've never stuck to one. Ever.

That's why I'm so poor. :D

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Congratulations on the anniversary. I'm certain that if a gift isn't to come his intentions were in all the right places.

Draft saved Draft deleted