1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Doyel dissing Reilly here?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

In Reilly's defense, Dorsey didn't need much baiting. I was there. In the interview room AFTER the alleged conversation with Douglas-Roberts, Dorsey went on to call Oden "an overrated big man," and "almost as good as Joey Dorsey." He projected he'd get 15 pts and 20 rebounds, and hold Oden to nine and five. Then he made his now infamous prediction: "It's going to be like David and Goliath. I'm Goliath."

High entertainment, indeed.

But I don't feel bad for Dorsey. He knew what he was doing, and actually seemed to be reveling in it.

2. i agree in theory, i just think that practically speaking, you don't take advantage of overhearing a college kid, Division 1 star or not. if he's in the press room, yeah, go with it. if he's walking from the main interview room to a breakout room and speaking privately to a teammate and didn't know there were accredited media within earshot, which was the case here, you stay away from it

3. Milo Bloom

Milo Bloom New Member

Keeping it closer to the topic, what was Doyel's point in saying "a reporter who shall go unnamed," before outing Reilly? Is that supposed to make us laugh? "Ha, ha, ha, Greg. You zinged him!"

Between the lines, it reads exactly like Doyel is going out of his way to say he wouldn't have named a reporter he actually liked. So, yes, I believe he's trying to jab Reilly with an underhand on this one.

Pretty stupid because his story really has nothing to do with Reilly, just the question, which was pretty direct I thought. Dorsey seemed like he needed a push over the politically correct fence.

Gregg, if you want to single out a colleague, just do it. No need to get cute in this case. Now, can we get back to Dorsey? He's much more interesting.

4. If I'm Reilly reading this, I'd just shrug. If it happened, it happened.

5. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Thanks for stopping by, Rick. Enjoyed the Artest column.

6. Milo Bloom

Milo Bloom New Member

Totally. If I'm Reilly, I'm just laughing. "Thanks for the plug, bro! Can I get a link, too?"

7. jaredk

jaredk Member

Sounds like Doyel should be kissing Reilly, not dissing him -- Rick primed the Dorsey pump....

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

A beat guy who covers a prominent pro basketball team always quotes players and coaches on what they're saying during the game, during timeouts, etc. At a lot of NBA venues, the press table is close to the team bench. Sometimes he writes what one player said to another without putting it in quotes. To me, it's eavesdropping. The writer didn't ask a question to get an quote. I don't like it, but the editors don't do anything about it.
    Any opinions on this???

9. There's nothing unethical about overhearing a conversation in which the subjects aren't careful enough to make sure you're not around.

If you're only going to use the info you get during the press conferences et. al, you're not doing your job ... you're a sycophant. You're out to find the truth, not just print what they want you to print.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I get that, yeah, but why should the players have to be careful about who's around during a game?

11. Um, because there's reporters covering it, trying to make sure they capture everything going on ...

12. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

You can capture what's going on without quoting what they're saying in team huddles.

Draft saved Draft deleted