1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Dino Laurenzi an anti-Semite?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Aug 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Not just a bad analogy, but I think it is one you stole from somebody else. I don't get to take Ryan Braun's iPod away or tell Alex Rodriguez he can't watch television, either, so I guess I shouldn't use either of those options if my daughter does something wrong?

Please tell me you know more about parenting than you just showed us. Please.

And when you are done with that, stop wasting everybody's time with the lame attempts to justify your laziness.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Is anti-Semitic Cubs fan a redundancy?

3. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

There is no doubt in my mind that Braun is a scumbag. I don't think I would believe anything he would say going forward. But what should we think of Jeff Passan when he reports that Tulo, Votto and Kemp were called by Braun and told that Dino was an anti-Semite only to learn that two of the three call bullshit on the story? Is this just the new normal in journalism? If his sources are wrong on this should we believe Passan going forward? Braun deserves all the scorn directed his way as far as I am concerned but why is Passan getting a free pass for apparently getting a huge part of his story wrong?

4. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Why should I believe he got it wrong? Maybe those guys are lying because they want no association with this story going forward?

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Bingo. It is crazy how people remain so gullible about whatever an athlete says.

Also Passan was the follow-up. Olney's story was the initial and more powerful report.

6. BadgerBeer

But Passan named the three players, as Olney pointed out. And what you are saying is that we should assume that all athletes are lying at all times? I do assume that the main point of the report is true but when two of the three named players call bullshit I would think that the reporter should be questioned.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

OOP, were you on the OJ jury?

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Has Passan come out and said he stands by his reporting?

Like others, I'd assume the players said it, but now want out of the story, and are denying it.

9. outofplace

More lame insults from the lazy.

10. outofplace

So, you just automatically assume they are lying. Got it.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah. I'm allowed to do that.

Passan has a track record. Is there a reason to doubt him?

There is a reason why these players would not want further involvement in the story.

12. BadgerBeer

These are tweets from Passan the day after the players denied being called.

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 20 Aug I've updated my Ryan Braun story from two days ago to include both Troy Tulowitzki's and Joey Votto's denials. http://yhoo.it/17X40SC View summary Hide summary

The crux of the story, that Braun disparaged Laurenzi with anti-Semitic and pro-Cubs remarks, remains true, as @Buster_ESPN reported, too.

Again, I don't doubt that the crux of the story is true. But this is a huge accusation and I would think the denials should carry some weight. It seems kind of flippant to just say "well, sure they deny, but my story is still good".

This is not a defense of Braun, just a question on journalism.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.