1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Democracy a short-termer?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

This former Catholic seminarian echoes the Bastard's words.

Book of Revelations as still-unresolved prediction of a certain future waiting to unfold? Nope. Not to any Catholics I grew up with, learned from or studied with.

2. Doom and gloom

Doom and gloom Active Member

Glad we know where you stand on that one now. So are you also subscribing to the pre-Vatican II thinking that all non-Catholics are condemned for not being in the right denomination?

3. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

he is saying it is right-wing catholics who think catholicism took a wrong turn after vatican II if i read correctly. he does not go along with that theory

4. Thanks, mc. You have the right of it.
    And it was nearly Father J_D? Who knew?
    (Which order, J?)

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Has this actually turned into a debate about the Apocalypse of John and it's bearing on geopolitics?

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Yes. It's called a Fenianjack.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Well, assuming current climactic change has mankind as it's primary source, then it is correct that a democracy is probably not the most efficient form of government to address the problem.
    But freedom comes with a price tag, and the freedom's afforded by democracy carry with them the price,among others, of that form of government's inadequacies and inefficiencies.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

My mother is obsessed with a dude on EWTN named Father Corapi. The channel is always on when I'm at the house. She even ordered his tapes and got his autograph.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Also, although I am not personally religious, my parents are very old-school conservative Catholics.
    When I was a child, we attended a Tridentine Mass in Latin, and I attended catechism classes at the same Benedictine monastery where we attended Mass. I don't recall Revelations being discussed much.
    Obviously, that's not the same as being in the seminary. I'm just saying the Apocalypse — other than the concept of the full body resurrection — was not stressed.

10. Boy, I still do love me some Latin mass, though.

UPDATE -- And, Ides, the Revelations 'jack was started by young Dammit, if you'll scroll back a ways.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I thought it was pretty neat when I was younger.
    On the occassions when I have to go to Mass these days — family functions like weddings, funerals, christenings — the Novus Ordo Mass always seems so much less weighty.
    My parents celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary in 2005, and we went to their parish for Mass and a little vow renewal ceremony. It was the first time I'd been to a Latin Mass in ages. I caught myself thinking: 'Now this is what church should feel like.'

12. Doom and gloom

Doom and gloom Active Member

It may be impressive, but it's like going to an Italian opera. I still walk out and say "I didn't understand a bit of that." I guess it's worship by some senses of the human ability, but processing a sermon...just don't think so.

Draft saved Draft deleted