1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Chris Drury the most underrated big game player in sports today?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, May 6, 2007.

1. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Sean Burroughs, I believe, won 2 LLWS titles with Long Beach, Calif. But he sucked as a major leaguer and is now apparently somewhere in the minors with the Mariners.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

so the answer, as far as you know, is "no."

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Sabres didn't reach the Cup finals last year with him on the team. He's an UFA this year so he's certainly trying to get another Cup on his ever-impressive resume.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

On the one hand, you're right.

On the other hand, the LL title especially is what makes him unique among the top pro athletes. He was performing at a world level at the age of 12.

5. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

If I were to purchase a Sabres jersey (vintage BTW), it'd be Drury. But sadly I don't think he'll be back in Buffalo next season. It's either him or Briere...

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Anybody who is dismissive of Drury's exploits as a Little Leaguer clearly wasn't paying attention when they happened.

Those Far East teams were machines, and Drury was a stud. It was a huge deal when they won.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The people who would dismiss his Little League performances don't have any idea of the place of LL in the sporting arena.

It's become a little more than a bunch of 12-year-olds playing ball, whether the PC police like it or not.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'm trying not to step on any toes here, seeing how passionate people are about little league, but in a lot of areas, isn't Little League the minor leagues compared to Pony baseball?

I know in the last decade, Pony baseball, for whatever reason, attracts the better kids, as Little League is considered kind of quaint and antiquated. You certainly see it in the # of kids playing, and caliber (if you have kids in that age bracket).

Is my neck of So Cal an anomoly?

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Funny, my kids started Pony ball last year and I've become quite involved in my league. I'm not sure I think LL is antiquated but Pony is different because the kids are kept in their age brackets (2 year intervals) and by 9, are taking leads and stealing bases and then by 11 are playing on 75 ft basepaths, not the 60 in LL.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Buh.. buh.. it's only baseball

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Dumbass question but what is Pony League?

Draft saved Draft deleted