1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is anyone else as blown away by The Hold Steady as I am?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Aug 14, 2007.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Just some great rock songs.

2. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Not too bad, but I wouldn't say blown away. Did you see em first on Letterman?

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The lead singer of the Hold Steady is really into Springsteen:

4. When their new CD was in all the critic's Top 10 list, I bought the album on a whim and have enjoyed it immensely since. I want to get another CD of theirs but not sure where to start.

It's odd...I go back and forth on the merits of the songwriting. Great rock and roll, but as far as songwriting at times I think it's brilliant and at times I think it's silly.

5. 93Devil

That is why I love Napster to go and my MP3 player.

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I'm the opposite ... I like plenty of indie stuff, but I can't get into this band at all.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I clicked on the first link, and was semi-into it for the first 10 seconds of music...then the guy started talk/singing and I hope there's more to it than this.

I like the music though.

EDIT: having listened to the first 30-45 seconds of the other clips, there's not more to it. Sad.

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

No.
    Good grooves. Cool lyrics. The guy cannot freaking sing. He makes Springsteen sound like Sam Cooke.

9. 93Devil

The first clip is pretty rough voice wise, but it does show how tight the band is live.

The second clip sounds better.

I am just blown away by this is better than 99 percent of what I hear on "alternative rock" stations.

10. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

I saw them two weeks ago at a festival in Cincinnati (they co-headlined with Ted Leo and the Pharmacists). The Hold Steady is a tremendous live band, maybe as tight as any I've ever seen. Yes, Craig Finn has a very "distinct" vocal style. But I think it works in the overall sound of the band. And what he does on the latest album, Boys And Girls In America, is closer to singing.

By the way — those aren't actors in the Chips Ahoy! video. The band really is that ugly.

11. how was Ted Leo?

12. rascalface

rascalface Member

Separation Sunday is one my favorite albums ever.

Draft saved Draft deleted