1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is America's taste really this bad?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Twoback, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I know I'm late to the party,d-bing and all that, but the wife and I caught the Pirates Of The Carribbean sequel on Saturday night. (Her pick, natch).
    I was horrified by how absolutely awful it was. I thought the first was passable entertainment. This was muddled, loud, ridiculous and, ultimately, boring. And it's one of the most popular movies of all time?
    Did anyone else have the same reaction to this?

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Haven't seen it. Saw the first one and thought it was a pretty good popcorn movie.

Reviews for the second one have been mostly awful but this is a review-proof movie.

People who saw the first one want to see the second one. Not the first time dreck has been commercially successful. (cf P.T. Barnum)

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Yeah, this one pretty much sucked. It was purely a vehicle to get to the third one, which I'm hoping will be back to the form of the first one.

There wasn't enough Capt. Jack in this one, and there wasn't really any resolution of the storyline. Just a cliffhanger.

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Could be worse, we could listen to (and like) music from The Hoff.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

We're talking about America's taste, Ides, not Germany's. ;)

Hook, line, .... stay tuned for the sinker.

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Which is why I said our taste could be worse, you silly Hoff fan

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I think you are looking at it too deeply. We've become to conditioned to have every movie have some inspiring or moral message for it to be good.

It was not as good as the first one but It was better than the other block buster of summer - Cars .

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Twoback, I look at it like a summer blockbuster. If you have a movie out there with a message of some kind, you will those that don't want to see it because they disagree, you'll have others that won't see it because they don't want to be preached to and you'll be left with a select few. However, almost anyone can agree on seeing a fun movie full of action and some comedy. I haven't seen the movie, but this apparently fits the bill.

To top it off, how many movies really came out this year that were screaming for people to pay attention?

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Boom, a good movie isn't defined by an "inspiring or moral message".

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Two things: Cars wasn't as bad as everyone says for the simple reason that my son liked it, and that was, after all, the purpose. Adults didn't like it? Boo-hoo.

Second, while Pirates may have had a record haul for the first few weeks, does that really make it "one of the most popular movies of all time?" Shouldn't we wait a while before issuing that title?

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

JR - I agree but tell that to movie critics.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Boom, maybe we're talking semantics here but I don't remember ever seeing a movie critic lambast a movie because it didn't have a "message". If by that you mean, a thesis or central coherent idea, then yeah, I'd agree with you.

But if you mean "message" in the sense of "proselytize" then, no, I'd disagree.

Draft saved Draft deleted