1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

is a burrito a sandwich?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by leo1, Nov 15, 2006.

1. leo1

leo1 Active Member

is a burrito a sandwich? a judge says no. now i think i know why people hate lawyers, judges and our court system.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061110/ap_on_fe_st/burrito_or_sandwich_2

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'd save my venom for the Panera Bread Company who seem to dislike competition. I hope the judge also made those assclowns pay court costs.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Seems like a perfectly appropriate thing to go to court about. There's a reasonable disagreement between the two parties on what the terms of the contract mean, and there's a lot of money on the line based on that interpretation. You bring it to a neutral third party, he rules, you live by it. No war. No burning down the mall. And I like QDoba anyways.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Qdoba's burritos are fucking huge. Haven't had one in years.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Point, I don't think the disagreement was "reasonable" at all.

No one would ever confuse a "sandwich" with a "burrito" but Panera was obviously trying to stifle competition and restrain trade. A totally frivolous court case in my opinion.

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i was being somewhat tongue-in-cheek when i said this shows why people hate laywers and why our court system stinks. but as a law student and future lawyer i can see why this is necessary to litigate. it's just that no one would possibly think the question whether a burrito is a sandwich is very important in the grand scheme of things. still, it's important to the plaintiff because it affects its business although usually when you see a sandwich and burrito place side by side they're equally crowded because people know they serve totally different things.

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Of course Panera is trying to stifle competition. If you were a Coca-Cola guy and you had a contract to be the exclusive beverage vendor on a stadium, you'd sue the fuck out of someone to "stifle competition" if they started selling Pepsi there, too.

Panera argued this was like that. The judge disagreed and told them to STFU and enjoy their QDoba competition. The system worked. But if I'm Panera, I would shit myself at the proposition of another restaurant in such a close competitive arena moving in next door, and if I thought I could enforce a contract on them I'd give it a shot.

Aside: from a business standpoint, Panera is a closer competitor with QDoba than it is with Subway. And QDoba doesn't compete with Taco Bell, it competes with Moe's, Panera, Quiznos, McCallister's (if you're lucky enough to have one)... shit like that. I can't imagine someone saying, "I want a burrito, should I go to Taco Bell or QDoba." It's either "I want something fast, should I go to Taco Bell, Wendy's or McDonald's" or it's "I want to eat something that's not total shit today, should I go to Panera, QDoba, etc."

If I were Panera I'd be pissed at the lawyer who drew up that contract.

8. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Point, why do you hate Canada?

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Because it's Wednesday

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

When I get a combo meal at a mexican restaurant (say, an enchilada and a taco) along with the rice and beans, I always order some tortillas on the side and make little burritos out of the rice and beans. Yum.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Chipotle is the best, but Qdoba is great as well...

12. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i'm disturbed but i actually agree with mizzou. i love chipotle but they don't have it here in south florida. it's far better than qdoba imho because chipotle burritos contain no cilantro, which i hate (i think they claim the rice has cilantro but it has so little i can't taste any).

Draft saved Draft deleted