1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Irony so thick you can cut it with a knife

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The only problem I have with your post BYH, is trying to claim Beckett was good to get his 16 wins with a 5.00 ERA. Really, it was just because he played for the Red Sox, who had a high-powered offense. If he would have been playing for the Marlins with is 5.00 ERA, he would have had about 10 wins. So, while I think you are right for the most part, I just don't think you are right claiming Beckett's greatness for earning 16 wins with a 5.00 ERA.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

You missed the point, which is that if Beckett could collect 16 wins pitching that poorly, he would be a lock to get at least 18 if he were simply competent. Don't let your anti-Red Sox bias cloud BYH's posts. ;)

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I understand your point Oz, I am just saying if he would have pitched for more than half the teams in baseball with his 5.00 ERA he would not have had 16 wins.
    Just because I hate Beckett and all things Red Sox, doesn't mean I can't comment on things having to do with those fucking Red Sox.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

But Oz is right, Angola. My point was Beckett won 16 games during a raw season. With a little more polish and a better team, 18 wins seemed like quite a reasonable goal to the sane folks in the audience.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I guess I can understand that side of it, but he played for a perfectly fine team and won 16 games despite a 5.00 ERA.
    Will you at least admit that if he had played for the Royals or Devil Rays or Mariners or whomever in the lower echelon of baseball teams, he wouldn't have sniffed 16 wins with that ERA?

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well, duh, yeah. But that was never the point.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I know what you're saying, but you're missing the point.

If he could win 16 games during a season when he didn't have it, 18 was well within reach if he pitched like we know we can. That theory would apply to a lot of good pitchers on the Red Sox, Yankees, Angels, Tigers, etc. It's not just the Sawx this applies to.

And yes, if Beckett were on the Royals, he would be Gil Meche. But he's not.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

OK, so I apparently misread BYH's post. That is apparent.
    I like you BYH, but I hope Beckett's arm falls off tomorrow and he never sniffs 18 wins.
    Actually, it would be better if he won 23 and the Sox still lost the division.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Oz never did give nothin' to the tin man that he didn't ... didn't already have.

Draft saved Draft deleted