1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ironman Triathlon World Championship

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark DeCotis, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Mark  DeCotis

Mark DeCotis New Member

Maybe I'm a triathlon geek but did anyone else here devote a good part of Saturday watching the Web cast of the Ironman Triathlon World Championship?

Mark DeCotis
    FLORIDA TODAY

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I like triathlons. But I was busy with college football and had no idea this was on TV.

I might have watched a little of it, but not a lot.

3. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

No, but your Florida boy, David Samson, president of your Florida Marlins, finished 225th out of the 226 who entered in his 35-39 age category. :)

I'd make fun of the fact that there were eight guys over 70 who finished in a faster time than Samson did. Except for the fact that he indeed did finish, which is impressive all on its own.

Rumour has it that he did cause the earthquake though. by his very presence

4. Mark  DeCotis

Mark DeCotis New Member

Don't know Sansom but ANYONE who finishes an IM is a stud regardless of time.

Mark

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Last year, I walked the run portion of it. It took me almost as long as it takes many people to do the whole triathlon.

6. Mark  DeCotis

Mark DeCotis New Member

26.2 mles is no short walk!

Mark

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

It certainly isn't. I can't fathom doing the swim and bike legs they have to do before it.
    I've done stories about people who have done the Ironman. They're some of my favorite stories.
    One guy told me that the magic marker that was used to write his bib number on the arm for the swim was permanently sunburned on.

8. Mark  DeCotis

Mark DeCotis New Member

One of my sons-in -law is an Ironman as are several good frien ds.

All I've done is a short sprint tri and a bunch of sprint duathlons.

Mark

9. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I watched some of it because I had a couple friends doing it. Someday I will toe the line in Kona.

10. Mark  DeCotis

Mark DeCotis New Member

go for it!!!!

Mark

Draft saved Draft deleted