1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Irish hire Powlus

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Jan 19, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

No.

At 4,000 posts, your side can hurt.

At 44 posts, you disagree with a smile. ;)

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Maybe he'll coach someone to three Heismans.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

To be clearer, Ron Powlus sounds like a very nice man, never a whiff of trouble,. etc. And Beano Cook did set him up with that stupid Heisman comment.

Powlus' biggest mistake was going to ND in the first place because there is no way in hell Lou Holtz was ever going to develop a pro-style passing QB with that offense. Powlus would have been far better served by going to Stanford, Washington, UCLA, or some other Pac-10 school that at least has an idea of how to run a real passing offense.

4. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

This isn't actually a terrible hire. As noted, Weis is going to coach the position anyway, but who better to help a young QB deal with the ridiculous ND hype Clausen will face than this guy? Powlus has been around Cheeseburger Charlie for two years, so he at least understands how the staff works and what he's getting into.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

And whenever Claussen fucks up, all Charlie has to do is point to the QB coach to motivate his pupil.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

heh.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Freelance!!!! Awesome.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Is it just me or does Jimmy Claussen, by his attitude and antics, go into South Bend as a kid you want to see fail, perhaps more than any other high schooler in a long time?

9. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I think I speak for America: Yes.

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Yeah, Jimmy got the arrogance from Casey, who wasn't nearly as bad but definitely had a swagger. Rick, on the other hand, was a genuinely great guy who at least liked by all of his teammates.

11. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I think I've told this story before about Ron Powlus, but I still find it funny.

A couple years ago, a buddy and I used to frequent a bar downtown where the owner always wore a Ron Powlus jersey. We'd laugh and call him Ron Powlus. Every other week he'd wear that stupid jersey and we'd laugh about how Ron Powlus never made it.

Fast forward a couple years, and I'm working at a paper where we often deal with college coaches purchasing a recruiting package from us. Phone rings. "Hey SCEditor, this is Ron Powlus from Notre Dame." For a split second, thinking it was my buddy, I thought of a witty retort, "Yeah, I have all kinds of college football flops calling me today." I bit my tongue. I didn't say it. Sure enough, it was Powlus calling to pay Notre Dame's bill. Believe me, I'm glad I bit my tongue this time.

12. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Beano Cook can fit three Heisman's in his massive gullett. His daddy must've been a pelican.

Don't believe me?

Believe this:
    [​IMG]

Ok, don't believe that. Believe this instead:
    [​IMG]

Damn copy-paste function.

Draft saved Draft deleted